*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3075430
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Message Forum · Other · #2016379
Discuss all things relating to writing and genre.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 9, 2017 at 6:35pm
Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World
*Dollar* 50 GPs were sent to remusmdh with this post.
I used to be a pantser and loathed the idea of sitting down to write an actual outline of my plot. Writing it all out in detail felt like I was writing it in stone and who knew where my whim would take me when I got to the actual moment? On top of that, I myself could never bring myself to specifically detail every little thing that was to happen. Plus, my idea of outlining was based on what we had to learn in high school English. "First you have a thesis, then you come up with three points and for each point you back it up with TWO supporting points...etc..." UGH. I felt like Id be murdering my story, not fleshing it out.

But not too long ago had the privilege of a published author who mentored me, and she helped me see the value of at least writing out what I saw happening in a loose chapter by chapter format - nothing complicated, nothing detailed. Just what do you imagine would happen next? Before I knew it, I was able to get a more clear picture of what was going on in my head. So Ive been pretty much sold on the plotting. As long as I dont have to sit there and think of EVERY little detail at EVERY single moment.

The only thing Im having difficulty with the plotting is my ending...but its also the same problem I was havign when I was pantsing...I hadnt a clue. Via pantsing, I was putting faith that 1) Id know the end when I saw it and 2) Id know what should happen. Turns out when I tried to lay out what I was thinking in a plotline form, I was seriously deficient in a satisfying ending. Plotting has only given me a LOOSE configuration and i still hope that when I reach that part Ill have a better idea of what I want to do...and that maybe Ill come up with a better idea than the rough scene I sketched out. But the upshot of that is that I now have a GOAL to work towards, and an light at the end of the tunnel. For someone who has a tremendous amount of difficulty finishing any writing project, this was a far better thing than pantsing ever gave me.

Good luck!!
MESSAGE THREAD
Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World · 07-31-16 9:15pm
by remusmdh
Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World · 08-01-16 12:06pm
by Sir Various
Re: Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World · 08-07-16 9:23am
by KMH
Re: Re: Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World · 08-13-16 4:52am
by Tobber
Re: Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World · 10-07-16 4:34pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World · 10-30-16 7:08am
by Jewell
Re: Re: Re: Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner'... · 10-31-16 4:26pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
*Star* Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World · 03-09-17 6:35pm
by MaryThornell

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, David the Dark one!.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3075430