*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3029820
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 13, 2016 at 7:55pm
Day 13 rant
Well, I still don't like outlining. But I recognize a need for it.

When I write, I usually write linearly. There's a movie playing in my head, and I write it down - though I have to pause, rewind and fast-forward a lot.

But people who make an actual movie have an outline to work from: A script, and storyboards. And in both cases, things can get shuffled around in pre-production, and sometimes even post. And you may or may not know this, but movies are rarely shot in the scene order you see. Nor do you have to write the novel in the order it's in when it's finished.

I think one of my mental blocks is that once I have something on the outline, it's set in stone. But it's not. I can move it around, delete it, expand on it. And that ties into the chronological timeline. It happens that what I have in mind lends itself most easily to a linear narrative with flashbacks. But if I outline Scenes A, B and C, and later decide that C should come before A, it can simply move - unless there's a causality in Scene A that affects Scene C.

This is why outlining is important: if I decide to go C, then A, then B, I can decide this at the outline step, and not worry about having written something in Scene A that causes Scene C, and have Scene C happen first chronologically.

So, while I'd rather not mess with outlines, it's a good thing the Prep urges me to do so.

Sig by legerdemain

C'=='==============>'
the pun is mightier than the sword
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Day 13 rant · 10-13-16 7:55pm
by Robert Waltz
Re: Day 13 rant · 10-13-16 9:18pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Day 13 rant · 10-13-16 10:18pm
by Elycia Lee ā˜®

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3029820