*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2898006
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 27, 2015 at 3:38am
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: character images
My dreams tend to be vivid, but not where faces are concerned, for some reason. In the dream, everything feels very real and solid, but when remembering it afterwards I can only get an rough outline, no colours or faces, just a sense of body language and relative positioning. Similarly, I rarely remember exact words when I wake, but I remember the tone of voice, and the emotion of the conversations.

It's as if I dream the finished product, and wake up to rough outlines and garbled notes. Very frustrating. It does, however, give me a lot of freedom when it comes to eventually describing my characters. I know, for example, that Snagg is in his fifties, dresses soberly and is very controlled in his speech and movements. I don't know his height, weight, or colouring. And I don't really care - I tend to leave those details up to the reader anyway, unless they are relevant to the plot.

This longwinded ramble boils down to: I don't find character pictures particularly helpful, but I can understand people who do. If required to create a visual, I will use my weak art skills and lay down a stick-figure pose, or even a single line showing how they stand or sit. Once I did my whole cast's handwriting and signatures. But faces? Hardly ever.

Kell Willsen *Quill*
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
Thanks to my sponsor, ember_rain
MESSAGE THREAD
character images · 10-26-15 3:07pm
by Cheri Annemos
Re: character images · 10-26-15 3:45pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: character images · 10-26-15 4:12pm
by Eric the Fred
Re: Re: Re: character images · 10-26-15 4:22pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: character images · 10-26-15 7:54pm
by Cheri Annemos
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: character images · 10-27-15 3:38am
by Outasync
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: character images · 10-27-15 11:06am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: character images · 10-27-15 2:25pm
by Eric the Fred
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: character images · 10-27-15 2:42pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: character images · 10-26-15 6:15pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Re: Re: character images · 10-27-15 2:58pm
by Shaye
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: character images · 10-27-15 3:17pm
by Eric the Fred

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2898006