*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2895734
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 21, 2015 at 10:12am
Re: Writing the way one speaks
The first thing to ask is if describing the accent is necessary.

It might be my love of period pieces, but my dialogue tends to have a British accent in my head, but I'm not going to write that into my story. *Wink* It's not necessary. Not to the story, not to the character.

However, some characters have an accent that differs from the majority of the other characters. An example that jumps out at the moment (since I'm reading it to my daughters recently) is Hagrid in the Harry Potter series. His dialogue is written to be a bit rougher and a little less "civilized" sounding. This is important to the character, since it's very much a part of his characterization. That being said, J.K. Rowling never specified a British accent to her main characters.

Hagrid's dialogue is punctuated a lot to show where he leaves of letters and combines words, or even words spelled differently to allow for the altered pronunciation. For a classic example: "Yer a wizard ... an' a' thumpin' good'un, I'd say".

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

Rate Yourself!  [E]
How would you rate yourself as an author based on the Writing.Com system?
by Sarah Rae

Merit Badge in Campfires
[Click For More Info]

[Link To Item #974537]  The Pagoda is an awesome campfire!  The premise is intriguing and the story is action-packed.  I LOVE that new additions are added every day or two.  Whenever I log on to Writing.com, The Pagoda is one of the first items I look at.  Thanks for thinking up something so fun, and for allowing me to play a part.  *^*Smile*^* Merit Badge in Birthday
[Click For More Info]

To Sarah Rae on her 21st Birthday. May your day be filled with family, friends and fun!!! Merit Badge in Nano Winner
[Click For More Info]

Sarah Rae,   Even though you have not yet reached 50,000 words, you are still a WINNER this year! It has been a joy to watch your progress and my hope is that you will continue to write regularly and finish the novel you have been working on!    *^*Ribbony*^*
MESSAGE THREAD
Writing the way one speaks · 10-21-15 9:09am
by Cadie Laine
*Star* Re: Writing the way one speaks · 10-21-15 10:12am
by Sarah Rae
Re: Re: Writing the way one speaks · 10-21-15 11:35am
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2895734