*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2884982
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 1, 2015 at 11:12pm
Re: Trilogies
I seem to be late to the game on this one, but let's get down to business...

*cough* To defeat the Huns...

In essence, the best series that I've read that have a definitive ending (thus disregarding something like Dresden, though I'll bring in A Song of Ice and Fire because it is actually a good example of a series that *will* end) do a bit of both in their final tomes: they wrap up all the story arcs that have been left dangling from other stories, but they also bring up their own subplots that exist on their own. A trilogy that exists simply to end an overall arc probably has a second novel that exists only to get from part one to part two, and a series with such an ending probably feels more like a series of plodding events; this is a bad thing.

As Eric above mentioned, LotR is typically cited as the king of all trilogies, but it actually isn't a trilogy; it is a single story divided into multiple tomes. But even though it is a single story, each individual book has themes that begin and end within each story. The first is all about the reintroduction of the One Ring, the creation of the Fellowship, and the death of that selfsame Fellowship. The second features the relationship between the two towers of Sauron and Sarumon, especially their alliance; it culminates in the armies of men (no elves, as in the movies) defeating Sarumon's army and the destruction of Isengard by the Ents. The third features the final defeat of Sauron and the destruction of the Ring, yes, but it also features the rise of Aragorn as the King of Gondor (and as a symbol of the beginning of the Age of Men) and the Scouring of the Shire. So while the plan to destroy the One Ring and defeat Sauron is definitely finished in this book, each part of the story has its own theme, which is why they were published that way.

Potter, on the other hand, really does use its seventh book as a culmination of the whole thing, but it is also the first time we even HEAR of the Deathly Hallows, so this is a new theme that is introduced solely in the finishing book. Yes, it contributes to the overarching theme, but it is not a continuation of an old one. Another thing that comes into play in the seventh book is the story of Dumbledore; we learn so much about him, his family, his motivations, etc. It's a revelation that really hasn't come into play before. So there are always themes and subplots that are introduced and close within that single book.

Then there's ASoIaF (aka Game of Thrones), where the man keeps introducing so many plots and characters and subplots that I'm beginning to worry he won't be able to finish in seven books. At some point, you have to start getting smaller or your story will not end satisfactorily. Your final book really will come across as nothing more than a way to tie up ends, so it won't stand very well on its own.

And, really, that's the goal: a novel that feels complete while at the same time is beholden to the plots, themes, and characters of the earlier books. Obviously, I'm not saying that you have to be able to read the book on its own without having read the others, because you will have built up events and character developments that are dependent upon earlier books, but it should still feel like it's complete on its own. It needs to stand on its own feet, run on its own legs, and have its own strength. The biggest complaint a lot of people had about the 8th HP movie is that it felt mostly like a series of knots being tied instead of a story that really stood on its own. Basically, every story should have something that makes sure it stands strong; a second novel in a trilogy shouldn't just be a way from book one to book three and the last should not merely tie up the events of the other two.

Another example! The original Star Wars movies. They do a great job of overcoming the sophomore slump; The Empire Strikes Back is arguably the strongest movie in that entire trilogy. Characters grow, there are huge revelations, it ends badly for the heroes, etc. Basically, it's awesome. It is a complete story on its own. Return of the Jedi, on the other hand, has another battle against the Death Star, continues themes that have already been developed, and adds a planet with tiny teddy bears. Same story, different setting. Luke is a Jedi now, but still not a very good one since the Emperor manipulates him so well...but we already knew that was a thing. We already knew Luke was at the whim of his emotions. The best part of Jedi is when Vader becomes good again and sacrifices himself for Luke, but only because it gives John Williams a chance to be amazing again. It's exciting because it ends the story, but that's all it does. It could have used a nice subplot of its own.

So...basically, don't introduce so much that story lines are rushed as you're wrapping things up, but don't introduce nothing at all so the whole thing reads like a giant knot-tying event. It should read like a story of its own that just so happens to end an overall arc. Also, the best trilogies for me do what LotR did and gave a sense that everything *isn't* wrapped up in a neat little bow...that the world goes on. That this episode of history is done, but the world goes on. It's definitely what I strive to do. It's what JK Rowling did in that epilogue, too...though it read a little trite for me...

Anyway...and now I've got 45 minutes to do this Day One thing. Let's do this!
-Quaddy

*Reading* Check this Out! *Reading*
 The Earth Rising Quartet  (XGC)
Five-hundred years ago, Earth lost its rebellion. Now it's time for it to rise again...
#1837269 by Professor Q

*Down*Come Join In!*Down*
 The Dissolution of Alkonost   (GC)
A desert metropolis falls and magick fails in its seams. Who dares rise to save it?
#1968212 by Professor Q

*ThumbsUp*Great Contest Alert!*ThumbsUp*
FORUM
World Weavers' Championship  (13+)
Closed for judging
#2012128 by Tileira

** Image ID #866242 Unavailable **

"Make music. Break Boundaries. End Hate." Professor Q
MESSAGE THREAD
Trilogies · 10-01-15 1:09pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Trilogies · 10-01-15 1:50pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Trilogies · 10-01-15 2:18pm
by Eric the Fred
Re: Re: Re: Trilogies · 10-01-15 2:32pm
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: Re: Trilogies · 10-01-15 3:52pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Trilogies · 10-01-15 3:48pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Trilogies · 10-01-15 9:56pm
by Merry Mumsy
*Star* Re: Trilogies · 10-01-15 11:12pm
by Professor Q

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2884982