*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2748599
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 15, 2014 at 4:02pm
Touchy Issues
by Rayyna
Hey all,

My novel-to-be is a fantasy novel, set in an entirely new world. But one of the major issues I've written into the setting is something similar to a Race issue. My peoples are elemental, and while the four-main elementals (earth, air, fire, water) get along great, there's a "fifth wheel" elemental that is generally shunned. The fifth element, I've been labeling as "Dark". I chose dark for several reasons -- including the connection I have to a concept similar to Dark Matter, as well as the relation to dark/black being all encompassing of the other colors/matter types.

However, this has me worried that it's too touchy and brings up too many current opinions about racism in modern-day America. I refer to my peoples as Aspects.. Fire Aspects.. Earth Aspects.. Dark Aspects. So slurs towards the Dark Aspects are mostly going to refer to their "Dark" connection.

Is this a big Taboo in peoples' minds?

I've considered re-naming the "Dark Aspects" to another concept -- Chaos, Void.. but neither of those words really encompasses what I'm picturing for the Dark Aspects. I've also considered re-naming ALL of the Aspects, just to get away from the somewhat obvious naming conventions. But my mind is mostly blanking on options for that.

What do you guys think? Is this naming convention asking for trouble?
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Touchy Issues · 10-15-14 4:02pm
by Rayyna
Re: Touchy Issues · 10-15-14 5:18pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Touchy Issues · 10-15-14 8:16pm
by Storm Machine
Re: Touchy Issues · 10-15-14 10:40pm
by Roseille ā™„
Re: Touchy Issues · 10-16-14 4:15am
by Elle - on hiatus
Re: Re: Touchy Issues · 10-16-14 6:14am
by MontyB
Re: Touchy Issues · 10-16-14 6:48am
by Jed Jones - banned novel
Re: Re: Touchy Issues · 10-16-14 10:14am
by Rayyna
Re: Re: Re: Touchy Issues · 10-16-14 10:18am
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: Re: Touchy Issues · 10-16-14 12:12pm
by Jed Jones - banned novel
Re: Re: Re: Re: Touchy Issues · 10-16-14 12:42pm
by Past Member 'alysia'
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Touchy Issues · 10-16-14 8:13pm
by choosingtolearn

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2748599