*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2747045
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 12, 2014 at 8:03am
Re: Re: Re: Re: Write all the things!
That's wonderful! Japanese is an amazing language, and it's a pleasure to learn. I'll be taking N3, which is a little frightening. There are around 1,800 vocab words for this level alone. Some of them are easy, but this test just might kill me.

I'm not familiar with that method. :) I'm self-taught, so I used internet resources to learn hiragana, katakana, grammar, and sentence structure, and Japanese books to practice reading comprehension. Now I'm living in Northern Japan, so I'm improving my speaking skills little by little.

I'm such an awful test-taker, though. >_<;;

If you want to mix up your learning methods, I'd recommend buying a novel or a simple comic in Japanese. Especially for writers and visual learners, associating vocabulary words with a story makes them so much more memorable, and you get more exposure to conversational Japanese. Even know, I remember the exact moment in a story where I first encountered many words, and I'll never forget them.

Kanji seem difficult, but they can be wonderful. Once you know some kanji, words will start opening themselves up to you. Even if you don't know how to pronounce a compound, you can understand the meaning because of the kanji that comprise it. 火山 (かざん), for example, is composed of the simple kanji "fire" and "mountain." It comes as no surprise that the word's meaning is "volcano."

I absolutely love studying Japanese. If you ever have a question, don't hesitate to send it my way, and I'll do my best to answer it if I can.

Have fun! There are some great online resources for vocab and grammar learning, too, and some free flashcard programs you can download. *Thumbsupl*

- -

"Let me live, love and say it well
in good sentences."
- Sylvia Plath

*MushroomB* *Books3**Books5* "► The Bookshelf ◄ *Books5**Books2* *MushroomB*
MESSAGE THREAD
Write all the things! · 10-12-14 1:29am
by Roseille ♥
Re: Write all the things! · 10-12-14 5:36am
by Outasync
Re: Re: Write all the things! · 10-12-14 6:17am
by Roseille ♥
Re: Re: Re: Write all the things! · 10-12-14 7:40am
by Outasync
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Write all the things! · 10-12-14 8:03am
by Roseille ♥
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Write all the things! · 10-12-14 9:04am
by Outasync
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Write all the things! · 10-12-14 9:20am
by Roseille ♥
Re: Write all the things! · 10-12-14 8:09am
by Brandiwyn🎶
Re: Re: Write all the things! · 10-12-14 8:16am
by Roseille ♥
Re: Write all the things! · 10-12-14 10:31am
by Storm Machine

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Brandiwyn🎶.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2747045