*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2319379
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #102362
Drop your new ideas into the Writing.Com Suggestion Box!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Nov 1, 2011 at 6:02pm
Attachment ability for reviews?
by Sil
Hello!

I was wondering if it might be possible to add a file load attachment ability to public reviews.

Rationale:

I like to review using Word, and track changes functionality. I comment directly within the document (I'd be happy to send an example if someone would like to see how this works).

I realize that you can do this using the review tool (which is awesome by the way), but I find it a little faster to do so with word. Word allows me to do pointed, detailed comments quickly, directly within the copied story or poem.

It also allows for minor edits, and with one push of a button, the author can view the document including the suggested changes and read it to see what it might look like if the reviewer's suggested changes were implemented.

I also would see this as a handy way to send files listing links for grammar checkers, suggested reading lists, and other types of files, without making every public review sound automated (like a template might).

Currently, when I do have an opportunity to do a detailed review, I have to send an individual private email to the WDC member. The only problem with that is that the detailed reviews are not published on the public reviews page. Previously, this didn't matter to me. But - if you are affiliated with a reviewing group - and the group wants credit for your reviews, it has to be done on the public reviews page.

So - now when I have something to share and someone requests a detailed look - I have to do public and a private one. Otherwise, it doesn't seem to directly benefit the group.

I realize not everyone has word, but I think a general file attachment tool for reviewing might have a lot of uses.

On the down side - I don't know how much this might bog down the website, and cause problems on the server side of things.

If a file attachment isn't possible - is there some way to add an ability to populate the original document (the one you are reviewing) directly into the review tool without cutting and pasting the document from the port? Maybe with a size limit? I realize one can't import a novel.

I don't want much do I?

God help me if all of this is already available and I'm just blind :)

Thank you most kindly for allowing me to voice this via the suggestion box.

Most respectfully,

Sil
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Attachment ability for reviews? · 11-01-11 6:02pm
by Sil

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The StoryMistress.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2319379