*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2191430
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Folklore · #1343647
???? TEFF HAS Twelve years on WDC! FORUM keeps ADC records.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 24, 2011 at 5:57am
CHRISTMAS EVE/ DEC NL/ 2010

CHRISTMAS EVE, 2010

Greetings to all Authors Discussion Club members, while extending Happy Holiday Wishes to all and your families.

Bit of news here at the house leftover from Nov which changed my piddling life in a rather unexpected way. On Nov 18 we lost Mr Moffett who succumbed at his home that very same morning, having survived an unhealthy heart for sixteen long years. If you recall the BUS TO BOULDER newsletter, you may also recall we were estranged. Friends and lovers for untold years, after that fateful divorce I returned to his side and lived with him and our children another seven years, as yearly calendars traversed many harsh winters, many surprising springs.

As our younger years return to haunt my saddened heart, we were tied again to Nov 22, the day his handsome earthly remains were reduced to ashes. Finally, still with some type of direction ahead for the last date, my youngest daughter and I chose the finest spray of flowers at our local florist shop. I visit there weekly and order carnations, his favorites, just to keep the spirits up.

A bagpiper arrived at his gravesite on Nov 29. My son read a eulogy for his father and the crowd cried. Myself, I let loose, as my oldest daughter accepted his flag from the US Army. Then together we stepped back.

Mr Moffett's three older sisters attended and one could easily see how wonderfully bravely they wore their broken hearts. Like all families which had a sad job to perform, we practiced at home how we would stand aligned. "Chins up, eyes forward, shoulders squared," I told my grown children. At graveside, before that piper played Amazing Grace walking out Mr Moffett's last square along the roadside, I handed my oldest daughter an identical handkerchief to my own, and said, "Use this if you have to, it has a bit of lace."

I had a week to prepare. The kids remained busy ransacking his house and mine for photographs. By November 25th when Kathleen commented, "Mom, I just wanted you to know, you were a beautiful couple," I went into action. Now, I was challenged to bring back a face, my sad one, and wear something he'd adore. So, I chose a red plaid kilt, white knee socks, ankle suede boots. a white, turtleneck sweater beneath a black motorcycle jacket, topped by a black velvet beret. We made it through that day. While Kathleen held his flag, I held the last note frrom the bagpipes, beside his sister's tearful faces. On that extremely fateful day ... I took home a memory like no other, knowing now, what must be shared today on Dec 24th ... the following fact: Love never dies. As is customary on such occasions, the last one the piper looked upon ... was me.

And yes, as I head into silence, I am a little bit okay. I haven't been able to write at all, a most unusual turn of events. I'm pretty sure that aspect of my hobby life shall return, plus there's enough private editing to keep me busy for an entire year. Lucky for me, The Dish supplies free Hallmark channels this month. So, Christmas movies all the way with knitting needles working overtime.

We may not always write about our personal lives in any stories at all. What we can do is repeatedly serve the heart well. Not only is it the absolute best thing to share, enjoy and compliment the loves of thy life; it also becomes duty offering requirements we should never shake. Yes, we might dabble inside a gigantic bubble known as the Internet to some. However, again with the reminder, not everyone is the same. Millions are not online. By not setting aside any lack of communication with the written word, the spoken word and the etiquette of cards, letters via snail mail are indeed endearing aspects we leave in a wake of our very lifetimes.

Sincerely, Mrs Moffett
2801 Old RT 22
Hamburg, PA 19526
Telly: 610-562-6921

Froum Posts: "SONG FROM THE PIPER"

"FLOWERS FOR THE LAST DATE"

MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
CHRISTMAS EVE/ DEC NL/ 2010 · 01-24-11 5:57am
by April Sunday

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, April Sunday.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2191430