*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2191428
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Folklore · #1343647
???? TEFF HAS Twelve years on WDC! FORUM keeps ADC records.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 24, 2011 at 5:36am
JAN NL/ 2011 "GET RUSE RISING"

Snow & Ice here. Low temps not at all nice.

Date: Mon, Jan 10, 2011,
HELLO CLUB!

COULD BE JANUARY offers a few replies to this first of the Twenty-Eleven newsletters which shall be posted @ "RIDING THE WRITERS WAVE" Gee whizzers, Club, I for one would love to see such action. Plus, you may notice many previous NL up for discussion. Thus the title: "AUTHORS DISCUSSION CLUB" surrounding the craft. Thousands of great novels around, so let's talk this year. Pretty much not begging, simply instigating use of CLUB forum again this year.

This month inside this JAN NL --- Let us allow for a thing known as reader burn out due to repetition. Here, addressing novels as well as fiction short stories. While this repetition annoyance often stems from too much recapping (e.g.) it also reaches into the realm of the average verb sandwich.* *VERB SANDWICH is a coined Teffom term for excessive action words inside a predicate. Deviations vary, of course. By definition not stressing adverbs, which I find fabulous extras like relish. Nor does the meaning of VERB SANDWICH include compound predicates. However, we're apparently in a world of LIT when --- infinitives wax immortal.

Yeah, we all use them, but we can avoid those as we see fit by turning the verb into an entity which stands alone. Thus, another TEFF standby --- the term re-re-re-re-editing.

All right? It all began last week while reading A STRANGER IN THE FAMILY by Robert Barnard, winner of numerous Literary awards, author of 41 novels. Robert's a member of "Britain's distinguished Detection Club."

Due to plot, found myself unable to put down this book, c-rt 2010 from Scribner. Sure as ice under the rafters, we must allow that publishing houses will indeedy, oh believe it, my dears, often mess things up. Which is aka editing to suit after acceptance. Sure, simply a known known aka tidbit of information. Then too, once they (published, well knowns, make it huge) we might ask ourselves -- do they go with ghostwriters? In some cases, yes.

Looky here, by now --- since ADC made the airways in 2007, CLUB should realize when a bugaboo surfaces at this desk it is explored, elaborated upon.

Thus, I almost consider complaining to my local library. BECAUSE?
Because Mr Barnard's work flaunts 'get" overuse. After a few hours in, a less phenomenal occurrence overtook moi. Not only did I see the full pattern of the author's style, I identified same. Most of the dialogue contains huge overdoses RE: get, getting, got, gotten. The crux became a watershed attempt to make all speakers use the lousy word get -- getting & got. Although this immediately broke from realism. WHY? Because few residents (characters in time and place) from Germany in 1939-45, Austria, 1990-ish Scotland, England, Sicily & Italy will all use the same words -- AHAH, the get cartel words. Thus, Barnard is way out of line.

Although many grand vocab choices are easily discovered, well placed within A STRANGER IN THE FAMILY, they lose credence whenever Barnard & Scribner decide to explain them with slangy get phrasing. As if readers need the, oh how to put this, longer, excellent words brought down to street level. We can't underline readers as uneducated, unable to comprehend ala picking up a dictionary. Oh, goodness, but this book sure does. Now, recommending once more those, handy, tomb dictionaries. Yes, online one's are out there. Bejeus, sure they are -- but being a hands on gal --- I stand by print version, whenever a synonym or definition is nec. If I can push a wheel barrow filled with woodsy topsoil, suffice I can lift a seven pound thesaurus. Anyone can. Besides faster than waiting for Windows.

Yet, here comes this literary genius, Robert Barnard, who automatically supplies a fast definition ploy (repetition) by using his constant gettings. This equates to become part of his style. Totally sad.

Oh, it was so horrible, it kept me reading on & on. Now, not only craving plot unfolding, solving the mystery, I'm heading into a brick wall playing about with each get diversion encountered.

Ride with me now to:
Chapter One: HOMECOMING
p13 "Why should I need a reason for getting a surprise for you?"
Translation: "Why do I need a reason to surprise you?" GETTING TOSSED!

p14 --- "He'd started a family early, got married ... --- toss got

p15 " ... when I'd got settled."
A mouthful Translation: when I was settled.

p16 "... He got out of Vienna during the war ..." He escaped/ left Vienna

p17 "... Don't get up."
Don't stand/ stay seated.

Kidnapped is rarely used. Instead Barnard relies on "abduction." TEFFY thinks ET interference.

Reference to Jewish citizens escaping war torn Europe always as in ALWAYS runs --- 'got out.' Now, yesterday I got out of a car at the movie theatre. Barnard's got out ---beyond endurance by Chapter 13.

p20 ... RE: family offspring -- " ... We've got three. ... Ben, Becky and Tom." We've three. Toss GOT

p20 "... I've got to go back to work ..." --- I must return to work

Chapter Two: PARTY TIME
p23 " ... the cab got to ...
the cab arrived

p24 "I want you all to get yourselves drinks -- This 'to get' is a stumbler ... use serve

p24 ... Since this is on the same page --- well I never!
Third person/ not dialogue: Kit was getting the idea that Pat was an organizer.
@ was getting the idea -- felt/ guesses/ guessed/ observed/ noticed

gets back --- returns
to get to know --- acquaint/ learn

Chapter 14: THE ERRAND BOY
p212 ... hoping to get to the Allied part of southern Italy --- Translation: hoping to reach

SEE: PART 2 --- At post: {post:2191179]

REGRETTABLE GET RISING!

Jan 23, 2011 ---- Regrettably authors could ask publishing houses & publishers:

Q: Do circus antics regarding insertion of Get for join// or get to know for acquaint ... is this then --- by their instigation or insistence?

I for one think that is the case by now. Yes, readers meet unchallenged acceptance, especially online. Publishers went regrettably irresponsible toward readers & authors. Uh-nah, never an obvious trite means for pleasing customers who buy books.

RE: get, got, gotten, giving, go --- most with prepositions, bereft fine tuned vocal centers on laziness. While authors, correct me if I am wrong -- work to sell high, not make mistakes which turn their readers nose to the sky, Like, putrid skunk stinky. OOOOOOOooooooooooooooooHH ieee!

Homework for the bored runs --- finishing a novel ever again. Most contain get overdrive. Why, THE HELP a 2010 tell all from South Carolina maids living the Sixties has almost 10-15 per 400 pages inside this hard to put down page turner. Spoiled from the get-go due plot, readers can‘t help but see the novel THE HELP requires get patience once more with each passing day spent abed reading. Mountains under snow, blue accentuated this month. Good old January, cold as ice.

BTW, Researchers --- Good luck spending one minute online in search mode ---
Watch as nearly 8% from fifteen msn.com websites ---
Miss Teffy finds under terms: “writing advice”
--- That: said advertisers miss few opportunities by requesting your hits ... --
Stubborn Lil buggers the g-words of no consequence.
Website lingo below, hangs all bothersome gets they can find,
All of them doing the hangman‘s jig
with a crowd of the Get Family on the sidelines,
cheering for the death of LIT.

So, sure we read online title details for websites all strewn with gallant, frightening pettishness gettishness. God forbid one really pays for a thing. Advise, these days is free. Look for a Grapes Of Wrath vine of verbose, overuse as gettings/ g-e-t-ism escalates.

Search & find: average tag-along words via three line intros --

Hey, CLUB --- You’ll turn grapes into wine in no time as you smash all the gets & gots. Tsk. Tsk.

On: JAN 23/ Well here’s a small sampling.

Now, myself I really don’t feel the need for a click away by any means for:
Oh, these are superb for hunters in the know ... Funny ...

“Get immediate homework help!” @ http:www.notes.com/lit/group/discuss ...

(Right, be right over. Sweetcakes? What are you thinking?)

Here’s one of my particular faves --- “WHY GET BAPTIZED ...”

Also: “Why is a Positive Angle Necessary & How Do You Get One? @ www.articles/smarticle.com/ART “

Adverting on: “WHAT ARE THREE REASONS WHY WORD CHOICE IS IMPORTANT in Poetry? -- Get Answers.”
(Uh, Okay Right .. heee hee humpr huunfff huh?)

From: THE PERFECT LOVE SONG by Patti Callahan Henry ... nice touch, but no cigar. Like style which allows for an un-identified voice .. addressing and telling the story which is set in third person ... more South Carolina & Georgia and Country Music & Ireland ... However p.69- 71 throw it on with chopped onion, diced peppers, mouthfuls of g-e-t- /g-e-t-t-i-n-g --- primarily in dialogue but cheap. “I think getting married ... (common?) Hitched, tying the knot // being married?

Later, Jimmy mentions his song :“As long as I get to sing it.” Can sing
we get ready --- Prepare! to get to know --- plenty of these
p. 90 === So, get you head together, get up and let’s get moving.”
Toss book at wall. Finally one finds on p. 124 where full-force nonsense wording results from a possible add-get edit.. Well, it looks that way to me in this gem from: Vantage Press. Try this paragraph on for size.

Okay! Ready?

p. 90// Chapter: Eight “But that’s the thing about Christmas. It’s difficult to get over hope for more. It is harder than any other time of year to get over “I want.”
(What the hell does this mean?)
Same par --- “somehow the spirit gets confused.”
Sounds like: Children writing for each other? What duh?

Online Jan Freeman complains, no bull puppy... with this title” “Sick, Sick, Sick” ..”As people might get rid of the word sick ...”

Who says so? Remove sick, one loses sick and tired of get. From: ehow.com there’s: “ HOW TO GET A CAREER AS A PUBLISHER”
Oh, hurry, out of the way! Wa wa wa wa wah wahw whwhw wh wh wh watch the tram car run over getting street.

Don’t despair, luvs. Go to: GET FREE CONTENT -- VIRTUAL WORD PUBLISHERS -- To get your book the attention it deserves ... “

TEFF's forums = open. Closed 500 Words A Day group --

{bitem:1214633 }

Above open to all wc=ers .. See you round, sleep tight this Sunday night. Full moon light, bright tonight.

Ta Ta! Pip Pip! Cheerio!
TEFF
© Copyright 2011 MRS MARY MOFFETT

So if anyone wishes to toss a snowball at me, since I am recovering from alas Nov 2010 sadness, somewhat. well hey, as playfully as ever --- I'll MOVE out of the way.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
JAN NL/ 2011 "GET RUSE RISING" · 01-24-11 5:36am
by April Sunday

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, April Sunday.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2191428