*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2170085
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #102362
Drop your new ideas into the Writing.Com Suggestion Box!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Dec 5, 2010 at 1:20am
Re: Re: Re: Concerns about the star rating system:
Members who really don't have an interest can disable the rating ability on their items, so we give members the choice. *shrug* If everyone wanted the ratings gone, everyone would just use that choice I'd think.

Personally, I don't have much 'writing' on the site -- and even less now in my own port since we've moved most of my docs and editorials into "Writing.Com 101... but it has always interested me to see the overall demographics of those who read them. In the case of my docs, younger members rated my technical writing lower than older members. Members with a stated higher level of education in their demographics have tended to rate my items higher than those with lesser education. That trends may just jive with and verify the younger vs older stat.

Certainly there are outliers, but I think many did honor my request for their honest 1 thru 5 rating on my items. And so I've found the information summation that comes from the rating system far from meaningless. I also think writers looking to find where their true demographic and audience lies find use in the ratings, especially as demographic information isn't included with reviews.

... but to each their own and thus the options we provide to authors when setting up their items. *Smile*

~~SM

The Storymaster Sig II. Merit Badge in Supportive
[Click For More Info]

For always answering my questions, no matter how dumb they may be, and keeping me out of trouble --no easy task sometimes.
RAOK's logo image.  This is a shared image, so feel free to use its item number.
FORUM
Technical Support Forum  (13+)
Members help other members with technical questions and problems using Writing.Com!
#303715 by Writing.Com Support
MESSAGE THREAD
Concerns about the star rating system: · 11-24-10 3:04pm
by sugarsupernova
Re: Concerns about the star rating system: · 11-24-10 3:30pm
by The StoryMaster
Re: Re: Concerns about the star rating system: · 11-30-10 9:31pm
by edgework
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Concerns about the star rating system: · 12-05-10 1:20am
by The StoryMaster

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The StoryMistress.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2170085