*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1527138
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 12, 2007 at 7:36pm
Re: Re: First Draft Easiest?
by A Non-Existent User
Early things that change everything after, and things you slip in near the end that you then have to thread through and foreshadow ... yep, lots of reshuffling, reworking, etc. I wrote Forger of Dreams in 6 months then focused on revising it for over 1.5 years. Personally, I don't let myself move onto book II or anything else until I've got it clean enough to feel comfortable submitting it simply because I know that if I did, I'd never come back and revise! Who wants to revise when you can draft-write and move forward? I guess it's like the movie Groundhog Day. Revising takes you back and back and back to relive the same time-frame until you're sick of it. Sometimes you tweak it and it turns out better, sometimes it just ends up that your additions are lots of hot air and fluff, or even heading toward terrible. In that year and a half, I added over 20k words to my novel (which was already at 105k). Some characters that were originally just created as background or functional roles have become integral to the plot - just annoying and excess characters just simply refuse to die or drop out of the limelight.

Original intention has very little to do with the finished product I think - at least as fiction books go. In ninth grade when I was assigned to write a "Scary, Halloween Short Story" and I decided that I would really show off, I didn't have a clue that not only do I have no interest in writing Horror/Scary thus that only lasted for the first chapter or so, but that it would evolve into an epic fantasy series spanning in both directions of time. I had no idea what I had stepped into the middle of until I was addicted and committed. I certainly don't need to look for more stuff to fill up the planned books, I usually cut stuff out to downsize and they still naturally fill up almost double the book rate I expected.

I say run with it, commit yourself, aim for the potential of the story and not just our initial, short-sighted plans, and then hold on for dear life.*Wink*

-Renegade

Do you have a dream?
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
This character does, but what is the price of a dream?

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only ** ** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

Especially for LDS and Friends!  (E)
A place to mingle and meet friends.
#1127078 by Aerix~ The Storm Dragon
MESSAGE THREAD
First Draft Easiest? · 06-11-07 11:28pm
by the1stephzen
Re: First Draft Easiest? · 06-11-07 11:43pm
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: First Draft Easiest? · 06-12-07 12:07am
by Amarisa
Re: Re: First Draft Easiest? · 06-12-07 5:33pm
by the1stephzen
*Star* Re: Re: First Draft Easiest? · 06-12-07 7:36pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: First Draft Easiest? · 06-12-07 11:51pm
by the1stephzen

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1527138