*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1491629
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Apr 16, 2007 at 5:07am
Re: Re: Re: Organization
Those deadlines do sound reasonable and I think it's fantastic to set your own deadlines. I've found my failing is accountability however. I can set a deadline but more often than not find myself ignoring it through lack of willpower. That's one issue where working freelance becomes a challenge. It truly requires dedication and commitment. You have to remain true to yourself.

If all else fails, line up some friends who'll hold you accountable. Have people who will keep on your toes about your progress and demand you meet your deadlines. Having someone waiting and reminding you of an impending deadline is great motivation. You could also reward yourself when reaching deadlines. And don't forget to break down your deadlines so that you have smaller milestones on the way to the bigger ones. A deadline of January 1st is great but don't forget to deadline the outline, character profiles, chapters, etc. Break each task down into smaller elements and give those tasks a deadline as well and you'll have a better chance of being on time with your larger deadlines.

I find I keep a lot of notes via paper and actually dedicate time to filing those notes onto the computer. Computers are wonderful for storage because you can fit notes into files and organize more simply. Just make sure you remember to back up regularly and keep multiple copies because it's also an easy way to lose data. Keep back up files in multiple locations, if you have a fire in your home you don't want to lose years of work because you had 'all your eggs in one basket'.

Of course, for me I know all the theory. It's keeping it in practice that's the problem. That's again where the willpower and dedication comes in I guess. Developing the habit of organization is an important step.

Have fun and keep writing,
Yours truly,
Rebecca Laffar-Smith

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
Organization · 04-03-07 1:04am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Organization · 04-10-07 2:40pm
by Bernidette
Re: Re: Organization · 04-16-07 2:21am
by A Non-Existent User
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Organization · 04-16-07 5:07am
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith
Re: Re: Re: Re: Organization · 04-16-07 6:05pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Organization · 04-30-07 6:19pm
by Lori Basiewicz

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1491629