*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1444794
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 30, 2007 at 4:35pm
Re: The Submission Process
Liam started this thread over a year and a half ago, but I have found myself in a position recently where I am the one writing and sending out the rejection letters. At least 90%, probably more, of the rejection letters I send out are form and the form letter I use basically says, "Don't assume it's you; it's probably us." It's funny and light-hearted. However, sometimes I feel compelled to send out a personalized rejection. In those cases, I find myself in a dual-frame of mind.

One one hand, as the individual doing the rejection, I feel the need to be honest. Obviously, there's something that didn't work about the submission, or else we probably would have accepted it, and it seems that telling the writer what it is can only help them improve and better target our publication, but sometimes, when I'm typing out the reason, my writer-brain kicks in and I think, "Gah! I hope they don't find that too harsh, too honest, too truthful. I hope it doesn't send them scrambling for the B&J and Makers."

So you tell me, if you're to receive a personal rejection, rather than a form rejection, how would you want to receive the news?
MESSAGE THREAD
The Submission Process · 06-19-05 2:31pm
by Liam Jackson
*Star* Re: The Submission Process · 01-30-07 4:35pm
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Re: The Submission Process · 01-30-07 5:16pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: The Submission Process · 02-02-07 9:40pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: The Submission Process · 02-18-07 8:47am
by Holly Jahangiri

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1444794