*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1443309
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 28, 2007 at 7:45am
Re: Re: Re: Mary Sue
You're right, it's not a term I'd heard before even being a gamer. lol It sounds a lot like stereotyping and I can see why you're concerned you might be coming up with a character that's rather bland and cliche. Still, my earlier comments stand more or less. She's there calling to be written. If she doesn't develop more personality as you write her story you can always see if it's repairable in the second draft. If not then at least her story is out of the way leaving you free to move onto the next one.

I'm having 'too good to be true' issues with the hero in the romance I'm working on at the moment. Part of my working on the second draft involves making him more realistic and working in some subthreads dealing with inner and outer demons of his own to make him more human. It's a difficult process and I've learnt that a great deal of the trouble actually started because I created him as the kind of dream man I'd want for myself. Of course dream men just don't exist which made for a very unbelievable hero. Coming up with that live and learn rule again aren't we? lol Thankfully that's why writers invented rewrites. *grins*

Have fun and keep writing,
Yours truly,
Rebecca Laffar-Smith

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
Mary Sue · 01-27-07 1:29pm
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Mary Sue · 01-27-07 8:23pm
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith
Re: Re: Mary Sue · 01-28-07 12:12am
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Re: Re: Mary Sue · 01-28-07 12:26am
by Kate - Writing & Reading
Re: Re: Re: Re: Mary Sue · 01-28-07 1:44am
by Lori Basiewicz
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Mary Sue · 01-28-07 7:45am
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith
Re: Re: Re: Re: Mary Sue · 01-28-07 11:31am
by chimpy121

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1443309