*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1443125
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 27, 2007 at 8:23pm
Re: Mary Sue
It really depends if I'm gripped enough by the plot or the character herself. Names are irrelevent. If it helps you could always call her Jill for now or something equally balanced that doesn't cause you to shudder. Perhaps do a little freewriting getting to know her better. Characters names are their own and for the most part they aren't really important. Mary Sue has a tale to tell and she's chosen you to tell it. Since it's there I'd be writing about it. Never look a gift character in the mouth not matter what their name is because denying it will generally lead to a massive writers block.

I'd agree with your friend. Write the book. You can always change the name if you're sill objecting to it in the future but by the time you reach The End you'll probably have learnt that Mary Sue was exactly the name she was meant to have. Characters have a way of owning their names and no matter how often you try to call her Jill she'll still be Mary Sue. There is nothing wrong with that. *Smile*

Have fun and keep writing,
Yours truly,
Rebecca Laffar-Smith

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
Mary Sue · 01-27-07 1:29pm
by Lori Basiewicz
*Star* Re: Mary Sue · 01-27-07 8:23pm
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith
Re: Re: Mary Sue · 01-28-07 12:12am
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Re: Re: Mary Sue · 01-28-07 12:26am
by Kate - Writing & Reading
Re: Re: Re: Re: Mary Sue · 01-28-07 1:44am
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Re: Re: Mary Sue · 01-28-07 7:45am
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith
Re: Re: Re: Re: Mary Sue · 01-28-07 11:31am
by chimpy121

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1443125