*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1440591
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 23, 2007 at 7:34pm
Re: Full time, part time employee or full time writer?
Writers write in whatever time they can make for themselves. Most don't 'quit the day job' until they're making good money writing in their 'spare' time. You can write a book in one hour a day or eight hours a day. It might take a little longer to get there doing the former but it'll still get written.

I think the real issue is making it something you come to. After a hard days work or dealing with family or whatever it is that forces you away from the keyboard/pen it's easy to just want to do something completely brainless. I guess that's why tv companies get rich during prime time. Instead, us writers decide that the word day hasn't even begun for us until we begin writing.

Don't forget that you can take advantage of a few extra hours during the weekend. For me I make sacrifices so I can write and I schedule my writing around the rest of my life. I'm lucky to be able to stay home during the day with my children. I'm a single mother of two so money is always tight and we'd be better off financially if I went out and worked but it's a sacrifice I make both for my children and for my writing. Even being home doesn't mean I can put myself 100% into my work during the day. I do mostly left brain, uncreative work during the day, editing etc. when the kids can distract me at any moment or are being noisy, messy, etc. Then when they're in bed I work for a few hours every night as well on creative aspects, writing.

The important thing if you want to get published is to write, whenever you can.

Have fun and keep writing,
Yours truly,
Rebecca Laffar-Smith

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
Full time, part time employee or full time writer? · 01-23-07 1:50pm
by Majik
*Star* Re: Full time, part time employee or full time writer? · 01-23-07 7:34pm
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith
Re: Re: Full time, part time employee or full time writer? · 01-24-07 11:55am
by Majik

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1440591