*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1413970
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Dec 8, 2006 at 7:45am
Re: Re: Re: Writing is scary
Unintentionally, my foot. *Laugh* I guess there is such a thing as too subtle. Of course, I didn't goad you into it like that agent/editor friend of mine did to me. I wouldn't feel bad if I did, though. I think it's as good as an hour's therapy, if you are really honest with yourself and write it out. After I read what I wrote, I put less pressure on myself to even think about getting published (I was only practicing avoidance, anyway) and emphasized writing for the fun and joy of it. I ended up writing a lot more short stories and more poetry than I'd written in the last 10-12 years. I have since finished one novel, and self-published it (publication wasn't really the goal - finishing one novel-length work was - and around that time, I found Lulu.com, thought it looked like fun, and decided to try it). Anyway, writing that essay helped me get out of a long, dry spell. Not a "block," exactly - more like traditional procrastination/avoidance. The fear wasn't overt, but wrapped up in a lot of other things - it wasn't "fear of writing a novel," so much as "fear that I'll look like an idiot" or "fear of what I'll have to do/deal with later." Definitely a combination of "fear of failure" and "fear of success" (lovely how both can co-exist and feed one another). You think "how can anyone be afraid of success?" but it's almost worse. I don't fear rejection. I don't fear looking like an idiot - not really (I just don't want to embarrass my loved ones too badly). I think the thing I fear the MOST out of all that is being a one-trick pony. Now, if I ever write the second sh*tty novel, I will (with some luck) have gotten over that, too, once and for all. Fear of fame and fortune - well, I should be so lucky. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. *Laugh* I completely trust my husband and my son to keep me grounded, to support me in reaching my goals and reaching for my dreams, and not letting me look too foolish in the process. So...nothing left but to write the second novel. And then to write the one that's meant to be published. At the rate I'm going, I'll be about 60 when that happens. Better late than never. *Wink*

Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1116533 by Not Available.

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
ASIN: 141163103X
Product Type: Book
Amazon's Price: $ 17.07

ASIN: 1411644476
Amazon's Price: $ 16.12
MESSAGE THREAD
Writing is scary · 12-07-06 4:06pm
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Writing is scary · 12-07-06 6:46pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Writing is scary · 12-07-06 7:07pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Writing is scary · 12-07-06 9:40pm
by Holly Jahangiri
Re: Re: Writing is scary · 12-07-06 10:07pm
by Xanthe Forest
Re: Re: Writing is scary · 12-07-06 11:40pm
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Re: Re: Writing is scary · 12-08-06 12:55am
by A Non-Existent User
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Writing is scary · 12-08-06 7:45am
by Holly Jahangiri
Re: Re: Re: Re: Writing is scary · 12-09-06 7:50am
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Writing is scary · 12-09-06 7:59am
by Holly Jahangiri
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Writing is scary · 12-09-06 8:39am
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Writing is scary · 12-09-06 5:29am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Writing is scary · 12-20-06 10:12am
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1413970