*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1397171
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Nov 6, 2006 at 8:36am
Re: Outlining Plots
It really depends what I'm working on. I don't for example outline poetry. I roughly outline short stories by mostly asking vital questions about my main characters, their situation, and various points that move the story forward. Usually doing this gives me the beginning, middle and end I'll need.

When it comes to novels however I put a lot more work into the outlines. Plot boarding and character development. I think character development is perhaps one of the most vital steps, you mightn't start off knowing everything about your character but if you don't know a great deal before you start writing they'll come out flat and 2D when you really need 3D characters to make a novel work well.

The plot is the same, it needs to be detailed and by plotting in advance you can make sure you pull all the threads into play and weave all the internal plots together to create a strong climax and final resolution. I do this by creating lists of vital points in the story and vital scenes and plotting them on a story board. It's also a great way to prevent blocks because you can see every stage of the story before you ever start writing.

Have fun and keep writing,
Yours truly,
Rebecca Laffar-Smith

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
Outlining Plots · 10-28-06 1:07am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Outlining Plots · 10-28-06 1:29am
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Outlining Plots · 10-28-06 3:19am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Outlining Plots · 10-31-06 12:13am
by A Non-Existent User
*Star* Re: Outlining Plots · 11-06-06 8:36am
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1397171