*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1396363
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Nov 4, 2006 at 2:53pm
Re: Crits & Family and Friends
by Talanis
Same reasons as said; Family tends to sugar coat stuff, friends too, though to a lesser extent. Also, unless your friend/family member happens to also be a writer, what do they really know, right? They might know what type of story they like to read, might even be able to tell you that something 'just doesn't seem write' with this line or section, but they'd never be able to tell you why, or, better yet, how to fix it. For that, you need an editor; a person who doesn't worry about hurting your feelings, knows how to write/edit and is perfectly willing to do both.

Personally, however, I feel that a true friend is perfectly willing and able to say, "Dude, this bites. You should be beaten repeatedly with a stick for making me read it." Granted, a friend might be more diplomatic about it, but true friends still say what they think. They know they've earned the right to do so. Least, that's what I've found with my good friends.

"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

- W. Somerset Maugham

Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1090903 by Not Available.
MESSAGE THREAD
Crits & Family and Friends · 11-02-06 3:46am
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Crits & Family and Friends · 11-03-06 8:35am
by Noble has the writing bug
Re: Re: Crits & Family and Friends · 11-04-06 12:33pm
by Tiggy Kitty
*Star* Re: Crits & Family and Friends · 11-04-06 2:53pm
by Talanis
Re: Crits & Family and Friends · 11-06-06 7:28am
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith
Re: Crits & Family and Friends · 11-11-06 4:43am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Crits & Family and Friends · 11-11-06 3:34pm
by Kritter
Re: Re: Crits & Family and Friends · 11-11-06 5:18pm
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Re: Re: Crits & Family and Friends · 11-12-06 10:30pm
by Kritter

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1396363