*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1385814
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 14, 2006 at 9:27am
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: writers block
[b][i]I have to ask why you cannot give yourself permission to just write?[/i][/b].

This is long-winded, so settle in or skip as the spirit moves ya!

Some writers (very few) can edit on the fly. They finish a chapter, edit it, then move on. It's an acquired skill, developed by telling and polishing lots of stories over time. There are even fewer who claim to edit every sentence as soon as it hits paper or the computer screen. One pass, and it's over. No more editing, no more polishing.To date, I've met exactly two professional writers who claim this ability. I've no reason to doubt them, but I [i]do[/i] know how rare this ability is among writers.

I've met hundreds of novelists and short story writers, in person and in cyber-space, who are tortured by the need to edit, and edit, and edit, and edit every...single... paragraph (or chapter ) until they "get it right." None are making a living at the craft. Not...one. Poets are the only writers I know who employ the occasional use of the internal editor without dire consequences. They're working on a very small canvas and each word or phrase is much easier to see or "feel." Not so for the aspiring storyteller.

Storyteller has the right idea. Turn off that damnable internal editor (aka the Grief Machine). If you loose it too soon, It'll only get you into trouble. Want to know the single greatest cause of self-inflcted writer's block? The internal editor. It's not called the Grief Machine for naught. *wink*

How do you avoid the Grief Machine's evil clutches? There are more than one method, but simple is good, right? So here's a simple, yet effectivej method: Just write what your minds-eye sees in the moment. If you're struggling with a passage, imagine that you're talking to a friend. Pretend you're having a verbal conversation with the next door neighbor and relay the simple facts. Tell the story, tell the story, tell the story. Don't get caught up in the prose trap, thinking every word must be solid gold. There's plenty of time to revise.
The story doesn't always have to be pretty on the first pass. Just remember, anything you write today can be revised six week, six months, or six years from now. Tell the story first.

Here's the deal: You certainly have the right to edit as you go. Heck, it's your story, so tell it anyway you want. BUT, if you get hung up editing every paragraph as soon as you write it, chances are that six months from now, you'll have one very nice paragraph. And only one.

Folks, if you're a fiction writer, and you don't take anything else away from this forum, remember this: Story comes first. Style points don''t mean squat if you don't have all the components: beginning, middle, and end.

Substance first, style later. I'm not saying style isn't important. I'm saying substance (the story) trumphs everything esle.

More on this later.

For more "stuff" visit:
http://LiamJackson.com

"Have you ever been caught hiding bodies in your closet? No? Good place to hide them, uh?"
  • Proud member of the Horror Writers Association, International Thriller Writers, and the Authors Guild
  • MESSAGE THREAD
    writers block · 10-12-06 6:58pm
    by utopianjewel
    Re: writers block · 10-12-06 7:51pm
    by Lori Basiewicz
    Re: Re: writers block · 10-12-06 7:56pm
    by utopianjewel
    Re: Re: Re: writers block · 10-12-06 8:02pm
    by Lori Basiewicz
    Re: Re: Re: Re: writers block · 10-13-06 11:44am
    by Liam Jackson
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: writers block · 10-13-06 1:11pm
    by Lori Basiewicz
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: writers block · 10-13-06 9:44pm
    by storyteller [retired]
    *Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: writers block · 10-14-06 9:27am
    by Liam Jackson
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: writers block · 10-14-06 9:44pm
    by Bernidette
    Re: Re: Re: Re: writers block · 10-16-06 3:26pm
    by askpaddy
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: writers block · 10-17-06 11:19am
    by Noble has the writing bug
    Re: writers block · 10-14-06 8:28am
    by misterkel
    Re: Re: writers block · 10-14-06 9:29am
    by Liam Jackson
    Re: writers block · 10-14-06 6:36pm
    by Chelsea & Agnes are way busy
    Re: writers block · 10-18-06 1:34pm
    by Tileira

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
    Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
    Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1385814