*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1377240
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 28, 2006 at 1:08pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: POV help please
If you're doing a limited or limited shifting POV, yes, you, as the writer, must always know who's head you are in. If you are doing a limited POV you can only reveal what that character can observe, sense, intuit, or believes in that scene. Any time you shift POV's, I would put in a scene or line break to indicate that you are shifting to the reader. Personally, I've never had trouble reading multiple POV's in the same chapter, but the scene or line break give my mind that slight clue it needs to change along with the characters.

I don't really know of any exercises for this, other than practice. Trusted and talented beta readers can also help flag POV problems. Waiting to reread the manuscript also can help them leap out at you.

My WIP is written in 3rd person limited shifting POV. I have four POV characters. One thing I did was to write each character's storyline separately up to the same point -- the point when all four storylines converge -- and then intertwine them. It requires some smoothing out and polishing once the storylines were merged, but it also helped me stay in each character's voice throughout their storyline.
MESSAGE THREAD
POV help please · 09-28-06 1:24am
by Molly Jean
Re: POV help please · 09-28-06 3:01am
by Talanis
Re: Re: POV help please · 09-28-06 8:17am
by Molly Jean
Re: Re: Re: POV help please · 09-28-06 10:15am
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Re: Re: Re: POV help please · 09-28-06 11:02am
by Molly Jean
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: POV help please · 09-28-06 1:08pm
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: POV help please · 09-28-06 11:04pm
by Kritter
Re: Re: Re: POV help please · 09-30-06 9:23pm
by Talanis
Re: POV help please · 09-29-06 5:37am
by Liam Jackson
Re: Re: POV help please · 09-29-06 10:22pm
by Molly Jean

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1377240