*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1377183
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 28, 2006 at 10:38am
Narrators
I'm currently studying post-modern fiction. On one hand, I'm discovering that as a reader, I really don't like post-modern fiction, but as a writer, it's been interesting because many of the books make such a point of spotlighting the techniques and structures that form the novel, the things that most writers hope will fade into the background and support the story without interfering with it.

One thing that's really caught my awareness is how the narrative is handled. In post-modern fiction, there seems to be three different ways of doing this and all three often appear in the same book.

Author
Intrusive Narrator
Narrator

To me, authorial intrusion seems very archaic, akin to the era in which Charles Dickens was writing, yet for some of these authors, it works very well. Then there is the intrusive narrator, who comes out and breaks the flow of the story to provide the reader with additional information that they really do need to know. While not post-modern fiction, Dostoevsky is a good example of this. It's the type of thing you do often see in fiction of that era, too. Finally, there is the narrator, that is more like a voiceover on television because they just seem to be part of the show but that, like the scenery, isn't really noticeable unless it is absent.

I'm interested. What are your guys' thoughts?
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Narrators · 09-28-06 10:38am
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Narrators · 09-28-06 10:47pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Narrators · 09-29-06 5:55pm
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: Narrators · 10-03-06 1:53pm
by DyrHearte writes

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1377183