*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1098043
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Activity · #974961
Any questions, messages, comments, or items to plug? Dial k-n-e-t-o.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jul 10, 2005 at 12:56pm
Re: Re: What a loser!!!
by Spheric
Hi K’neto,

What’s up? I have to agree with Mavis on this one. We all receive ratings that are disappointing. But, the point shouldn’t be the stars (in my opinion) so much as the accompanying review. People use such vastly different standards when assigning stars that they are of very little value.

The basic idea of putting our work out for review on this site isn’t to receive accolades, but to gather other writer’s opinions so that we might improve. This can be a painful process as we place our work (and in some ways, ourselves) out there for public scrutiny. It is difficult sometimes to remember that it is our writing skill at this point in our career that is being critiqued and not us personally. And that the critiques are merely opinions, in this case obviously intended to be helpful. In your disappointment that wordplay ’s opinion was not what you had hoped for, you seem to have lost sight of this.

I have received a three star review with “wow. great story” as the only accompanying review. I have received one point five stars with a review that told me how poetry should be written and then told me I did just that. I have received one star ratings with no accompanying review at all (that's a "hate rater", by the way). And on and on. These, I did not find particularly helpful. Many of us reviewers, like many of us writers, are novices. If you do not find their comments helpful, thank the reviewer for their time and move on. I don’t believe you would ever call a writer you were reviewing “a loser” if you didn’t like their writing. Why do so to a reviewer whose review or rating you don’t like?

Your tantrum is likely to have a chilling effect on others who review your work from now on. They are unlikely to tell you if they find something they feel needs improvement for fear of being blasted. Just a thought.

I hope will you reconsider your ill-advised rant.

Peace and Love,

Spheric
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
What a loser!!! · 07-03-05 12:22pm
by spiral kinetochore
Re: What a loser!!! · 07-07-05 12:53pm
by Florence C.
Re: Re: What a loser!!! · 07-07-05 9:14pm
by spiral kinetochore
Re: Re: Re: What a loser!!! · 07-07-05 10:49pm
by Florence C.
Re: Re: Re: Re: What a loser!!! · 07-08-05 10:18am
by spiral kinetochore
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What a loser!!! · 07-08-05 3:37pm
by Gaijin de Moscu
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What a loser!!! · 07-08-05 8:27pm
by spiral kinetochore
Re: What a loser!!! · 07-10-05 12:08pm
by Mavis Moog
*Star* Re: Re: What a loser!!! · 07-10-05 12:56pm
by Spheric
Re: Re: What a loser!!! · 07-11-05 11:05am
by spiral kinetochore
Re: Re: Re: What a loser!!! · 07-11-05 11:34am
by Spheric
Re: Re: Re: Re: What a loser!!! · 07-11-05 11:59am
by spiral kinetochore

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, spiral kinetochore.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1098043