*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/action/view/message_id/3575212
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #101136
Bugs are evil nasty critters that get into the site and break it; Help us exterminate!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jul 29, 2023 at 11:46pm
Edited: July 30, 2023 at 12:42am
Re: Login Out of Sync?
[EDIT: I found another log for the validator and I see what happened. The validation fails, you have to click the "Login and Continue!" button to process the login. If you click "Rate/Review", you end up with the consistent validation failure and request to login. According to the logging sequence, that's what was going on. I will try to make that "Login and Continue" more visible.

I think there's some issues with trying to prevent the "Rate/Review" from being clicked while the login validation form is there, but I'll see if that can be done without causing other failures. (IE; someone logging in and then the form NOT allowing them to rate/review). Fortunately, the validator log goes back about a year and I don't see a lot of multiple failures going on...

[[[ FINAL EDIT ]]]]

Improved form when validation fails... this version should definitely eliminate confusion on what to do... I hope. *Smile*

Anyway.....
Original response where I couldn't figure anything out below... *Laugh*

------------------------------------

Greets,

I just tried to duplicate a problem like this via a test account, but was not able to. It's hard to simulate the timeout, but I opened an item to review, opened a new tab to logout and then submitted the review. Validation via username/password was requested, which I entered correctly and was approved to continue. The resulting page is still an error due to form validation (because for security reasons, the session that creates a form must submit that form -- otherwise, it's not valid -- thus when the login expires, the form also expires. Without that, an attacker (hacker) could copy a form from our page and put it somewhere it shouldn't be. While I hate to be that "crazy" for security, it's the world we live in and "writing.com" as a name makes us a target).

[Edit to add: I checked all the logs and the system doesn't even show the attempts or failures for your login. So for now I'm sorta in the dark on what went wrong and will have to be on the lookout for more data on this problem.]

Anyway -- aside from that, I'll look more into this as time allows and if I can think of other scenarios that might generate the problem. In the meantime, I'm really not sure how or why the validation wouldn't work for you with valid and correctly type credentials.

Indeed, forcing the weekly login does subject yourself to session issues happening. Maybe one thought is to keep that setting in place, BUT then actually log out and log back in to reset before you embark on larger projects. Once you do that, you reset the timer back to the 7 days.

We also usually recommend a copy/paste of longer writing/reviewing just because anything can happen with computers, connections and settings. For better or worse, our systems will never be perfect and any time you can help protect your own writing, it's a really good thing because no one wants to see lost time and effort. *Heart*

Thanks!!!
~~SM

The Storymaster Sig II. Merit Badge in Celebration
[Click For More Info]

Wishing You and Your Family a Happy 20th Anniversary of WDC, and thanking you so much for your all efforts and generosity for us to grow as writers. My all best wishes and prays are all always with YOU, YOUR FAMILY and this WONDERFUL WRITING COMMUNITY which is our SECOND HOME.
RAOK's logo image.  This is a shared image, so feel free to use its item number.
FORUM
Technical Support Forum  (13+)
Members help other members with technical questions and problems using Writing.Com!
#303715 by Writing.Com Support
MESSAGE THREAD
Login Out of Sync? · 07-29-23 10:30pm
by Schnujo Enjoyed Colombia
*Star* Re: Login Out of Sync? · 07-29-23 11:46pm
by The StoryMaster

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/forums/action/view/message_id/3575212