*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/949162-The-Thin-Line-Between-Orator-and-Puppet
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1197218
Reflections and ruminations from a modern day Alice - Life is Wonderland
#949162 added January 8, 2019 at 9:47am
Restrictions: None
The Thin Line Between Orator and Puppet
"Blogging Circle of Friends "
DAY 2242: January 8, 2019
Prompt: “There is a thin line that separates laughter and pain, comedy and tragedy, humor and hurt.” ― Erma Bombeck
What do you think?


This prompt makes me think of those moments that feel wholly inappropriate like getting a fit of giggles at a funeral or feeling inexplicably sad during a snowfall. The line between emotions is a thin veil at times, highly relative to where we are in our lives at any given moment. It is the reason we can rise above loss and tragedy and find the silver lining in a rain cloud. I think as human beings we have a built in fail safe to our emotions. We have the ability to adapt, which gives most of us authorship over our emotions overcoming or consuming us.


"Blog City ~ Every Blogger's Paradise"
DAY 1849--January 8, 2019
“I am still committed to the idea that the ability to think for one’s self depends upon one’s mastery of the language.”
Joan Didion, Slouching Toward Bethlehem: Essays
What are your thoughts on this subject?


At the risk of producing a post with political leanings...this prompt makes me think of President Trump completely as someone who very clearly does not posses mastery over language and thereby does not posses the ability to think for himself. He is someone who consistently fails to express himself with anything but a crude command of the language, speaking with a coherency more appropriate for a fifth grade classroom than from the highest office in the land. He is someone who gives the ultimate impression that his thoughts are influenced and even dictated by what he sees and hears on television or reads in the headlines. Oddly enough, it is this truth about him that bothers me more than some of his policies. I find it very difficult to listen to him speak publicly - I have higher expectations for our President. A leader should inspire people, they should be eloquent and gifted as an orator, they should rally people rather than offend and divide them. They should at least be able to think for themselves and have conviction. He has never given me the impression that he can do either of theses things.

© Copyright 2019 MD Maurice (UN: maurice1054 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MD Maurice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/949162-The-Thin-Line-Between-Orator-and-Puppet