*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/945436-Safe-Harbour-Of-Home
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#945436 added November 12, 2018 at 7:54pm
Restrictions: None
Safe Harbour Of Home
PROMPT November 12th

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that is not what a ship was built for." - William H. Shedd. Reflect on this quote in any way you choose.

*NoteB* *NoteO* *NoteB* *NoteO* *NoteB* *NoteO* *NoteB* *NoteO* *NoteB* *NoteO*
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
         
          Okay, I just may be guilty of nit-picking here, but I object to the initial wording of this quote, "a ship is safe in harbor." Is it really? Things, terrible life-altering events occurred with ships in hatbours. { Canadian spelling ) They are a matter of historical record.
          On December 6, 1917, two vessels collided in Halifax Harbour wreaking horrendous devastation. The Norwegian SS Imo and the French SS Mont-Blanc struck each other at a slow rate of speed. A fire broke out on the French ship igniting its deadly cargo of explosives.. Approximately 2,000 people perished in the blast itself, or fires, or debris, or fallen buildings, or a resultant tsunami. A district of Halifax known as Richmond was especially hard hit..
          On December 7, 1941 The Japanese attacked the American naval base Pearl Harbour. Lives and ships were obliterated. Where was the "safe harbour"?
          Now, I believe I understand the intent, the motivation of this quote. Ships are created to sail the seas. They travel and explore. People should also seek to broaden their horizons with travel and/or exploration. Seek out new opportunities. Sample new terrain, cultures, and activities. There can be growth and fulfillment in adventure.
          Sorry, I'm still thinking about the "safe" part of ocean cruising. Wasn't the Titanic touted to be the safest liner of its day? Passengers paid good money to sail the Atlantic in a one-of-a-kind vessel. Well, we all know what transpired April 15, 1912. The unsinkable met the unthinkable.
         Ah, travel is never completely without risks. Unfortunately, all modes of transportation endure their fair share of crashes. Planes, trains, or automobiles none of them are "safe".
         This realization does not prevent me from escaping my everyday once in a while. I undertake voyages along roadways and open skies. I've survived a vehicle crash, or two. I can't say the same re airplane excursions., not that a plane crash is on my bucket list. So far, my sailing has been in lake-friendly craft. No, wait, I have travelled aboard the ferries that run between British Columbia's mainland and Vancouver Island. No, that is not comparable to an ocean liner cruise.
          Maybe someday I will sail the Seven Seas. In the meantime, most of my flights of imagination will find me soaring from my comfy computer chair. Sure, there may not be catering, or pampering, but this particular harbour is home.

© Copyright 2018 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/945436-Safe-Harbour-Of-Home