*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/944741-I-Prefer-Tongue-Tasting
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#944741 added November 2, 2018 at 4:37pm
Restrictions: None
I Prefer Tongue-Tasting
Hmm, looks like I stumped a few of you with yesterday’s prompt *Laugh* Friday’s are “Fun Fact Friday,” so this one should be easier *Wink*

While you all were busy digging and trolling through "Writing.Com 101" yesterday, I learned something new as well! *Magnify* Did you know that butterflies taste with their feet? *Butterfly2O* Do you think taste is an under-utilized sense in writing? Reflect on how taste can be better utilized in your writing to enhance a scene.
         
          First off, let me answer your question, no. Isn't it the truth that you learn something new everyday? I've never thought about the taste organs of a butterfly. Sure, I notice their stunning colouring, and now that I'm being honest with myself, I envy their ability to float and flit. It must be intoxicating to surf an air wave.
         What I definitely do not admire is the entire tasting-with-your-feet practice. Feet? Grubby feet that of necessity touch the ground? Feet that make contact with all matter of things icky, grimy, sticky, inexplicable, mysterious, and most likely harbouring a gazillion contaminants? No thanks. I depend upon my feet to provide ambulation. They do not need to handle my food, too. Granted they are sensitive, read ticklish, but they are not sensitive enough to savour my meals. Gross!
          Hmmm, how to segue from butterfly feet to a scene that highlights taste? I'm somewhat distracted by thoughts of wine-making. I'm no expert, but do some wineries still encourage grape stomping with bare feet? Squishing slippery grape pulp between one's toes must be akin to sloshing and sliding in a mud puddle. Is there a carefree euphoria? Imagine the skin absorbing that future wine. Would the term "stepped on" apply to this? Is it more appealing to claim the fruit was "pressed"? Okay, okay, enough procrastinating, I will press on.
         I shall insert a disclaimer here. I swear no wine was imbibed during this writing process. caffeine supported my creative endeavours.
         Picture if you will a family gathered together 'round a table for a Thanksgiving feast.. Each place setting boasted a gorgeous paper napkin of scarlet and gold maple leaves. Wait, wait.... this is a different "taste". This highlights the hostess' decorating taste and keen eye for colour. Just for the record, she yearned for a magnificent centerpiece with a pumpkin and a candle, but for practical purposes it would not have fit on the table.
         Throughout that day of celebration, an enticing aroma wafted. I believe mouths watered and noses twitched. Stomachs rumbled. No one had to be coerced to finally sit and dig in.
         Christopher had only sampled a wee bite of his ham before his sister, Carrie challenged him.
         "Well, do you like it? Can you guess the secret ingredients in the marinade?"
         What could he do, but shrug. The prolonged stare aimed in his direction demanded a reply.
          "Um, I'm not sure. Is it mustartd?"
         The family gasped. Everyone knew that mustard had never been a condiment of choice for Chris, so how could he possible recognize its' flavour? Did he have a palate he'd been hiding?
         Carrie nodded. "What else?"
         Living with two siblings of the female persuasion, this brother knew his sister would not let him off the hook. He could continue to eat and humour a pop quiz.
          "Okay, a familiar flavour is tantalizing my tongue. This one I know. Ketchup, yep, it's ketchup."
          That condiment was a given. Chris enjoyed it indiscriminately.
         "What, there's more? Huh. I dunno. I taste a sweetness, yet I also sense a tanginess. Something is teasing me. Um, did you put in a syrup?"
          Laughing, the cook confessed that she'd just winged it, and there had not been a recipe. No, she'd not thought to try syrup in her concoction, but she had mixed in sugar, brown sugar. The surprise ingredients consisted of vinegar and Worcestershire sauce . Apparently, nothing had been measured either.
         "I think I went overboard with the vinegar. I used it to rinse out the ketchup bottle. Hey, at least we're not puckering, or gagging. Remember that time Mom made pancakes with salt instead of sugar?"
         Ah, memories! They can be sweet, salty, savoury, tangy, charred,, raw, and so much more.

© Copyright 2018 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/944741-I-Prefer-Tongue-Tasting