*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
23
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/942138-Good-Literature-and-Movies
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#942138 added September 28, 2018 at 8:06pm
Restrictions: None
Good Literature and Movies
Prompt: We've all watched movies at some point or another. Have you ever studied a movie from a writer’s point of view and broke the movie down? With this in mind, what two aspects make it a film versus a book? What's your favorite movie? Why? Remember we're looking at this discussion from a writer's eye.

------

I neither like nor watch movies all that much anymore. I am foremost a reader, always.

There was a time, though, when we went to the movies every week, which I am talking about a few decades ago. Among my favorite movies of long ago are Casablanca and Dr. Zhivago, and if I jiggle my memory more, I may come up with several others.

I don’t think I have studied a movie from a writer’s point of view, except for Casablanca, and I am sure what I liked was the direction, filming, and the actors. This is because between the movies and books huge differences exist.

If I read any book, I don’t want to see its movie because I expect to be disappointed, for I know how most movie makers mess up perfectly good books. On the other hand, they usually do better if they adapt a short story to a movie. Yentl comes to mind in this category.

Then, if I see a movie, I stay away from reading the book as chances are I’ll be upset at how the movie industry messes up perfectly good art. Among the good books I read that they made a movie of is Emma Donoghue’s Room. I have refused to see that movie because I loved the book.

Most of the time, in my opinion, when people adore a movie, it is the actors’ perfection they take notice, not the script or the original book. For example, Tender Mercies, Terms of Endearment, and Steel Magnolias were the movies I loved when I first watched them. I will not read them now in book form, after watching them as films, even if some of them were novels first.


© Copyright 2018 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/942138-Good-Literature-and-Movies