*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
23
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/941358-Adventure-at-Home
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#941358 added September 13, 2018 at 4:39pm
Restrictions: None
Adventure at Home
Prompt: "When one is home, he dreams of adventure. When one is on an adventure, he dreams of home." Thorton Wilder Do you agree with this?


=====

Not really, if by adventure Wilder means traveling. On the other hand, if he means an exciting experience with potential danger, one can have such an experience while being at home. Those in the hurricane’s way, today and tomorrow, for example; if instead of evacuating, they plan to ride the storm out, they are facing a risky and bold adventure without leaving their homes.

I hope everyone will be all right, btw. We went through that hurricane thing a few times, and although I wasn't much affected, the people who were staying with us were frightened and took the whole thing very badly.

Coming back to the quote, if Wilder meant traveling, at the time when we were traveling a lot, it was fun and I enjoyed it then, but I wouldn’t call sightseeing or living in a foreign place for some time an adventure, unless it includes stuff like skydiving, mountain climbing, scuba diving, river rafting and things like that.

Come to think of it, I’ve never dreamed of such extreme sports in the first place. My favorite adventures come from good books. Also, in old age, I became a homebody. So, wherever I am, I dream of home and good books.


© Copyright 2018 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/941358-Adventure-at-Home