*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/939888-Plantation-Florida
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#939888 added August 16, 2018 at 9:53pm
Restrictions: None
Plantation Florida
Date: Week of August6th


Locale:  Plantation, Florida


         This week finds me in Plantation, Florida.  This is what we call a 'resident' class, except it's being taught at the Motorola Facility in Plantation Florida.  Plantation sits about 10 miles inland from Fort Lauderdale, so you would think you could find me at the beach in the afternoons/evenings.  Not a chance.  Don't forget, I'm now 64, my hair is completely silver.  My skin is prettty white.  I don't want to be mistaken for a beach whale....  Even worse, have people wonder about this old man who thinks he's young, playing around on the beach.


         The class was fine, I've taught it many times.  We had a few small delays as I tried to locate cables and adapters needed for radio testing.  Overall, it all went well, and everyone seemed happy.  Then came the trials and tribulations of getting home Friday night.  My flight was scheduled to leave at 4:20 Friday afternoon, but the flight down from Chicago didn't arrive until almost five!  They were anxious to get us aboard and out of the area, so as soon as the arriving passengers were off the plane, we boarded.  Luggage was loaded, food loaded, and we left.  Yep, they didn't refuel, since the plane had plenty of fuel.  I guess Mother Nature had other ideas.  Thunderstorms hit the Fort Lauderdale airport area, and we sat on the tarmac for at least 45 minutes.  We finally took off, but the pilot had to change the flight plan several times to avoid thunderstorms between us and Chicago.  We were a bit west of the normal flight path, around St. Louis when the pilot announced we were being diverted to Kansas City to refuel.  You have to wonder why we didn't go to St. Louis proper, but I'm sure (I hope) there were reasons.  I quickly realized that going to Kansas City, sitting there for 30 minutes while we refueled, then another 45 to Chicago meant I'd miss my connecting flight home.


         Oh wait though, it got better.  (NOT!)  After refueling, we backed out and headed to the runway.  Suddenly, we found ourselves back at the gate.  Our flight crew had become 'illegal'.  They had reached the limit they could fly a plane in one day, so we were going no where.  Many people got rental cars, some hotels for the night.  I was still in the gate area when the employee who was trying to help us announced, "Chicago passengers!  Hold Everything!"  We quickly learned that a crew was bringing a plane in from the east coast, and had volunteered to take us to Chicago that night!  Better yet, they were 'no where close' to being illegal.  Could it really be true?  To make a long story short, they became illegal at midnight local time.  We boarded at 11:25 pm, and were off the ground at 11:56pm, heading to Chicago.  I spent the night in a hotel, then flew to Springfield Illinois Saturday morning because United Airlines had no flights going to Peoria Saturday.  To add insult to injury, my bags were never re-tagged for Springfield, so they remained in Chicago.  They were delivered to me at home on Sunday.


Noteworthy Restaurants:


         Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza          https://acfp.com/location/plantation/    I don't eat Pizza too often, but this place was pretty good.  Their Pork Ribs with vinegar peppers  (I chose hot peppers, and they were decently hot!), and Paulie's Pie (Meatballs, Sausage, Hot or Sweet Peppers & Ricotta Cheese) was good too.  Hit the spot really well.


         Bin 495          http://2yo03d47e58421qztg1d9hf5-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/BIN-Dinner-FINAL.pdf  I don't normally dine at hotel restaurants, but I was tired one night and thought I'd give it a try.  Excellent Lobster and Shrimp Salad, I also enjoyed their chicken wings!


In Closing
         I am home next week, delivering a radio programming class on line.  Since this week is already here, you know I had problems with my work PC.  I'm not sure it was a virus or not, but there are many other people having problems installing the software I was installing.  Either way, my work PC is fixed, and I'm back in business.  *Smile*  Next week I will be in Amherst Massachusetts.  Til my next entry, y'all write all you can!  Love those who are close to you, tell them every day.  See you next time around....





Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2018 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/939888-Plantation-Florida