*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/939882-Polka-No-Fancy-Dance-Moves-Required
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#939882 added August 16, 2018 at 8:41pm
Restrictions: None
Polka? No Fancy Dance Moves Required
We're staying at the Hampton Inn.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g36185-d90579-Reviews-Hampton_Inn_by_Hi...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g36185-d7295640-Reviews-Rusty_Wall... We're going to learn how to drive like Nascar drivers. before kicking our heels at the Polka Festival.

http://www.bicentennialpark.org/featured/concert-on-the-hill-polka-party-august-...

10-acre park by the river with an outdoor bandshell for music concerts & theatrical shows.

Billie Limacher Bicentennial Park
201 W Jefferson St, Joliet, IL 60432

Ladies,we're going to a Polka Festival. It’s a Polka Party time with our favorites…rain or shine! We’ll move indoors if needed.

ACTS:
Eddie Korosa, Jr and the Boys & Girl from IL
with special guest “Mr. Slivo” John Churnovic on button box
Frank Rossi & The Sounds of Sinatra

EMCEE:
Joliet Councilwoman Jan Quillman

Enjoy the sweet sounds of summer music every Thursday at 6:30 pm – for FREE! Bring blankets and chairs for hill seating. Concessions are available, including beer and wine. We're going to participate in the polka activities, I hope you brought your dancing shoes.



         What a day of contrasts today became. Hey, haven't we visited this state recently? We're back in Illinois, right?
         Ooo, how exciting, race car driving! I booked this same driving package for my Nascar-fan hubby as an early birthday gift a few years ago. Yep, ol' Rusty Wallace was supposed to sponsor that experience, too. Between booking and paying, the day and location was changed. It was only offered in one far away, inconvenient site, and on a day my hubby couldn't possibly be there. Sadly, he never sat behind the wheel of a bonafide race vehicle. It became known as the drive that went nowhere. Huh, today I slipped behind the steering wheel, and thought of my forlorn partner. Firstly, I was pleasantly surprised that my bulk and I were not excluded. We could even snap the harness around us. The helmet felt a bit unwieldly and heavy. I briefly thought I must look like a bobble head. Oh, how exhilirating to feel that G-force slam me back into the seat! The poor radio guy is now deaf. I whooped and hollered. I could only imagine the wind streaming through my hair....darn clunky brain bucket.
         Excuse me, polka?? Er, um, sure, why not? I grew up listening to the Canadian King of Polka, Walter Ostanek. After all, the Oktoberfest town loomed nearby, and my grandfather hailed from Poland. I recognize the "oom-pah-pah", and the accordion. I recall 'Beer Barrel Polka' and 'Roll Out the Barrel'. The tag line was, "we'll have a barrel of fun."
         One good thing about polka, the dance moves are not complex. One just needs enthusiasm.
         I loved this outdoor venue. Bicentennial Park provided lovely scenery and cooling-off breezes. Eddie Korosa, Jr. and the Boys and Girl From Illinois seem to love the polka, and their energy is contagious. How does a performer manage to both heft and play an accordion for hours? Some of their numbers had cutesy names, 'Tic Toc Polka', 'The Fat Polka', and 'Dog House Polka'.
         Basically, I twirled, stomped, and sorta galloped, I believe. Great goofy fun!

© Copyright 2018 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/939882-Polka-No-Fancy-Dance-Moves-Required