*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/939449-Elvis-the-Pelvis
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#939449 added August 9, 2018 at 7:45pm
Restrictions: None
Elvis the Pelvis
https://www.graceland.com/elvisweek/schedule/

Have you got your Elvis impersonation mastered? I entered everyone in the annual Elvis impersonation/tribute contest.

Share your favorite Elvis tune and why?

We're staying in an RV I rented on another Graceland property. Didn't want you to miss out on genuine southern hospitality.

https://www.graceland.com/elvisweek/schedule/

See the big brown and tan striped rv closest to the building, that's ours.
         
         What a whirlwind! From sunny California to Graceland, Mississippi., we roll along. Why not experience a little bit of the King? Sigh, Elvis.... Mom never collected black velvet paintings Thank God, but she was a fan. I can picture her as a teenager waiting expectantly for Elvis to make an appearance. She'd be trembling wide-eyed, close to hysteria and fainting. His singing could lighten her mood and still make her starry-eyed after becoming a mother to four.
         I suppose I prefer his tender, emotional ballads. When he crooned them, his amazing voice left no doubt he had talent. 'Love Me Tender', 'In the Ghetto', 'It's Now Or Never', and 'Can't Help Falling In Love' are but a few songs that showcase this.
         I admit I also like the rollicking songs featured in his movies. They were catchy, fun, and danceable. Of course, he portrayed the hero, and there always seemed to be a damsel in distress to rescue. 'Jailhouse Rock', \Viva Las Vegas', and 'Blue Hawaii' are classic films.
         Hmmm, how could I impersonate Elvis the Pelvis? Several of us tried "the sneer", "the lip curl". It made it difficult to sing, and we dissolved into snorting laughter. Okay, we attempted the short nod, and that well-known line, "Thank you, thank you very much.". Of course, we giggled at trying to choke out, "hunka hunka burning love." I believe we had a bit more luck with the hip thrust / pelvis twist move. Sadly, I do not own any clothing swathed in sequins, nor did I happen to have a bedazzler with me. Actually, I have not warn a jumpsuit since the '70s either. Intrepid Apondia found a costume rental business nearby.
         I think the most fun was trying on the various wigs and fake sideburns. We all looked ridiculous in our signature black pompadours. The obviously fake sideburns came in one size fits all. They were long enough to hide our necks, or our entire faces. We resembled cartoon lumberjacks. That "hair" is coarse and itchy. Wearing a pair of dark glasses was the easy part. We needed them to protect our eyes from the glare of millions of gleaming sequins.
         I tripped repeatedly over the wide bell-bottoms, the flares. I want to know how Elvis did not drop and lose his microphone down into those voluminous sleeves. Talk about trick or treat.
         Oh, it felt wonderful to hear the applause for our feeble Elvis impersonation. I don't kid myself that my singing brought the house down. Actually, I believe I may be responsible for the untimely shattering of a few stage lights. The nice stage hands tried to claim that the heat caused them to blow...how sweet. They also didn't make too much of a fuss over my stumbling amongst some cables.
         The audience were good sports. They listened to our squawking and they still clapped. This was all accepted as great fun. I shall remember this evening as being a step above karaoke.

© Copyright 2018 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/939449-Elvis-the-Pelvis