*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/938591-Water-Balloon-Time
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#938591 added July 25, 2018 at 4:58pm
Restrictions: None
Water Balloon Time
         When I was young, we used normal balloons and fired them at summer camp or special events. My mother didn't like the idea, so we didn't do them at home. She did let us use squirt guns outside or the garden hose. Today, you can buy special balloons that are easy to fill and stronger, so you're less likely to break one before throwing it.

         Most brands allow you to fill 25 balloons at a time. They pop off and seal themselves when filled. You have to be careful not to fill too fast. And keep them low to the ground, so that they don't fall off and explode at your feet. Th smallest package is 100. 100 balloon scraps to pick up out of the yard! Not very ecological. Lots of waste because of the long stems connecting them. And all the little pieces you don't collect are not biodegradable, so they're not a good idea for the park or the countryside.

         But for kids, it's heaven. So many balloons at once! So quickly! We would have reveled in that. In a family setting, it's always fun to bomb Dad or a favorite uncle. You have to remind them constantly to be careful around the two year olds, and avoid the babies and Great Grandpa. And no jumping in puddles on the patio (head injuries). Stay on the grass, kids.

         Afterward, there's the towels to launder. Two or three days of raking and picking up tiny colorful pieces of rubber. But it feels good to remember the squeals and giggles and recall the smiling faces. It's not free, it's messy, and it only lasts a few minutes. But it gives everybody some good memories.

© Copyright 2018 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/938591-Water-Balloon-Time