*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/938335-Miz-Kitty
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#938335 added July 20, 2018 at 10:08pm
Restrictions: None
Miz Kitty
         In most westerns, movies or TV, women have limited roles. The same can be said of many genres, just adjust the characteristics a little. In the average show, it was all about the men, good, bad, truly evil, or somewhere in between. Women were usually saloon girls, innocent young teenagers, mistreated squaws, long-suffering ranch wives, or whiny, complaining wives. They were either painted out to be bad people or weaklings. Like I said, a lot of genres do that.

         There were some notable exceptions. Raquel Welch always played a strong woman. Sure, they played up her sexuality to sell tickets, but she had inner strength. Barbara Stanwyck was a force to be reckoned with on the California ranch in The Big Valley. The young Anne Baxter played a tomboy in a Gregory Peck movie, where she wore a boy's shirt and jeans, and sometimes even guns and holsters; but she always looked sexy without revealing any skin or wearing heavy make-up. By the late 1960's she was playing the dim-witted, ambitious military wife to Hugh Beaumont, who apparently got typecast early on as a strong, but patient, tender, forgiving man.

         I'm sure I already mentioned a way back that Dale Evans was liberated. It's worth repeating. She could shoot, ride, do horse tricks, capture bad guys, and hang out with the men, while never compromising her high morals. She was more of a general performer than actor, but the image is what mattered to the public.

         Miz Kitty of Dodge City is another matter. On Gunsmoke, we learn that her mother died while she was young, and her father was a gambler. Probably that's why she ended up running a gambling hall and saloon. She lived with a friend, Panacea, for two years after her mother's death. She also was a gambler in New Orleans. They never said that's where Kitty came from, but sounds like it. On the radio show, she was a madam as well, but on TV that part was eliminated. Kitty usually dressed more conservatively than her girls. I only recall a low neckline once, but not too much was revealed. Usually, the dress had lace or cutouts around the top with a high neckline. The bodices were usually fitted, and she was lean, but not thin like today's female actors. She did wear a lot of make-up, but during the day, she dressed in business outfits and fit in with everyone else. I only saw her kiss a man once, and that was Claude Akins after Matt had been negligent, and she was feeling lonely. She was rich in friends on the TV show, but had little romance or love.

         I think of her as a strong woman because she had her own business. No man ever tried to tell her how to run it or offer her any protection or get rich quick scheme like many stories involving women managers or owners. She could use a gun and settle an argument. She wasn't easily intimidated. She was charitable, and usually helped someone in trouble. She had a good working relationship with her employees, who were loyal to her. While she had a fondness for Matt, she didn't place all her hopes and dreams on him. She was an independent woman who enjoyed the company of men, but didn't need them to survive. If you can believe she ran a clean business and no prostitution was involved, she was operating pretty well in a low life town. She did have strength of character, and no one pushed her around. Yet she was gracious, friendly, soft-hearted, and respected.

         I can't help but feel a little sorry for her, because she's in love with a man who just isn't capable of giving her what she needs or deserves. No way is she a second class citizen. Miz Kitty is a force to be reckoned with.

© Copyright 2018 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/938335-Miz-Kitty