*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/915725-Crochet-For-Change
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#915725 added July 19, 2017 at 6:44pm
Restrictions: None
Crochet For Change
PROMPT: War Chest Wednesday! How do you effectively make a change in your life or in anything you do? ( i.e. a habit, a routine, a system, etc.)
         First of all, you must aknowledge that you want to change your routine, or stop a bad habit. You need to set up a plan of action, and then follow through. If you have a family only to eager to help, they will remind you of your behaviour, and point out your particular habit, over and over. They only wish to see you happy and improved. Be prepared. They will not hesitate to draw attention to you, anywhere, anytime. Strangers will be invited to hear all the details, and asked for their opinions. Mothers especially maintain an encyclopedic memory.
         I believe in the idea of eradicating a bad habit/behaviour by replacing it with another action. Take nail-biting for instance. In order to erase, or override the activity of sticking one's finger nails in the mouth and chewing on them, one needs to keep those fingers busy with something else. Sketching with a pencil might be a great replacement.
         Recently, I have rediscovered crocheting. Yep, I'm shoving a little hook through skeins of wool, weaving stitches, pulling knots, missing gaps, losing count/sight of the pattern. In the beginning, I'll admit it was frustrating. My hands are protesting by cramping, and aching. They have obviously forgotten this skill, and they are slow to cooperate.
         Somehow, I have been appointed a Crocheting Coach. My daughter Carrie has stepped up to keep my stitches neat. We bantered about finding the correct holes for the hook, and filling all the holes, ( former stitches ), and missing holes. She urged me to go deep, and force the hook through, you got it,, the holes. Yep, it sounded kinda dirty/kinky/risqué.
         Anyway, I have a self-imposed deadline to complete this blanket for a wedding shower gift. Optimistically, I have less than a two week window, so I am determined to finish it. There have been marathon crochet sessions despite my balking digits. As I hook and count with great concentration, I have realized something.
          I lose track of time. Hunger and thirst become abstract concepts. I forgo other past times such as sleeping, reading, writing, strolling, and scrolling.
         My hands are immersed in the intricacies of crocheting. They are not able to feed me, or wet my whistle. They are incapable of any mischief whatsoever, so....
          Here is my revelation.... CROCHETING PREVENTS/CURES: 1. nail biting, 2. overeating/over indulging. 3. lack of focus/concentration. 4.boredom...

© Copyright 2017 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/915725-Crochet-For-Change