*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/914580-Happy-Canada-Day-Eh
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#914580 added July 2, 2017 at 2:39pm
Restrictions: None
Happy Canada Day, Eh!
Creation Saturday! July 1st is Canada Day... pick a Canadian celebrity, tell us what he or she is famous for, and tell us how they would fit in with what they do in your hometown. If you're Canadian, tell us what you enjoy most about your country that might not be as popular in other countries.
         Well, I readily admit that I am Canadian, born and raised. No, unlike this country of my birth, I'm not 150. I'm told this is young for a nation, and it is a milestone. That's a helluva lot of candles to blow out, and balloons to blow up. Fireworks have exploded and painted an endless horizon. Red and white flags flutter from every conceivable surface. Our distinct maple leaf beckons far and wide.
         I am celebrating with my family at our seasonal campsite. So far, the capricious weather gods choose to test us with everything, but snow. Yes, the torrential, pounding rain, the spectacular, sizzling lightning, and the heart-stopping thunder seem to circle in commanding waves. Briefly, the sun dazzles us. It dances in and out of the ominous clouds in a game of hide and seek. The breeze is a blessing though. It shoos away the voracious mosquitos that hover hopefully nearby.
         Thankfully, we no longer rough it in a tent. I do not miss sleeping on the unforgiving ground, and wrestling with a sleeping bag. How do moths and butterflies do it? A cocoon is claustrophobic. The experience of a drooping and leaking tent is not exhilarating. Struggles with stubborn zippers, and ornery flaps are not for the faint of heart. Creepy crawlies seem to like the temporary shelters. A spider web strung between poles does not attract flies. It's intricacy and artistry is lost on a screaming, shimmying camper.
         My current camping style is more up scale. My trailer is equipped with most of the amenities of home; a kitchen, a bathroom, a separate bedroom. Running water that flows from an indoor tap is such a luxury. I brew coffee in an electric appliance. My toast pops from a toaster. I still have memories of burning bread crumbling into a smoking fire. The lighting of my childhood consisted of a hissing ,fuel-fed Coleman lantern. Now, I read by lamplight. As a child, I dragged a large water jug through the dirt to my family's tent site. Once a day, I refilled it from a communal outdoor faucet. Water is so heavy.
          We did manage to sneak in a campfire last evening. Yes, it's officially July, and it's supposed to be summertime. Try telling the local climate. We huddled around the flickering flames, braced in jackets. It was a marked contrast to the boating and tubing we dared to attempt earlier during a brief window of sunshine. We Canadians party whatever the weather. Since the ice has vacated the lake, we opt to swim, whether it's warm, or not.
         The campfire is the highlight of each day spent camping. It is our version of happy hour. It is an excuse to let loose, relax, and socialize. Of course, there is much laughter. Often , the tales are tall and mind-boggling. Memories resurface to be shared anew. Dance moves may be introduced, copied, and mocked. Song lyrics are discussed, and debated. Sometimes, a game is pitched, and played. Visitors are encouraged, and welcomed. Campfires are inclusive. No one is a stranger.
         So, with this in mind, I suppose I would welcome a Canadian celebrity, or two. My family cherishes humour. If only the great actors/comedians, Leslie Neilson, and John Candy were still walking this earth. Martin Short, Jim Carrey, and others must be campfire aficionados. I would definitely invite them to share a s'more with me.
         Happy Canada Day, eh!

© Copyright 2017 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/914580-Happy-Canada-Day-Eh