*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/913369-Leaving-For-Memorial-Service
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#913369 added June 15, 2017 at 2:04pm
Restrictions: None
Leaving For Memorial Service
         I thought at my age, when we've seen so much sorrow, loss, disappointment, and disasters, that we couldn't cry very easily. We're supposed to be tougher and take it all in stride. News Flash: It never gets easy. I have cried more in the last several days than I have in years. And I still have trouble accepting the truth.

         My niece's husband, who suffered cardiac arrest last Thursday, died Monday night. He was 35. An army veteran, he left a four year old, an 18 month old behind. He died with the knowledge that a third baby was on the way. He had so many plans. He was clearing off the 25 acres they currently occupy, an old farm that has been allowed to grow up into woods again. They had just made an offer on a 75 acre farm, contingent on the sale of the current farm. That can't go through now, because my niece, an RN, can't run a farm and take care of three children alone.

         Despite living near me, his memorial service will be held at his mother's church, over three hours away. My dad can't take the long car ride without suffering in his back and one hip. So I'm taking him this afternoon,so he rest overnight and be fresh for the service. Then we'll come home tomorrow.

         I'm cat-sitting for my next door neighbor meanwhile. It's an outdoor cat. I'm getting worried because I haven't seen her since early Sunday morning. She has been known to disappear for up to 48 hours, but nothing like this. My neighbor's step-daughter came by yesterday and did an extensive search through the neighborhood. Now I feel bad that something may have happened to her during my watch. I won't be looking for her tonight or tomorrow morning, but hopefully will be home before dark tomorrow to try to feed her again.

         Billy was good guy, a cherished member of the family, and his absence will be felt. I like to picture him fishing with Jesus. He was an outdoor guy, so it suits him.


© Copyright 2017 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/913369-Leaving-For-Memorial-Service