*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/912282-Romeo-and-Juliet
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#912282 added June 3, 2017 at 12:15pm
Restrictions: None
Romeo and Juliet
         There was a question on Jeopardy tonight about the "star-crossed lovers", which of course were Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. Immediately, it irked me. They are infamous as "star-crossed", but there's another angle to that story.

         They were kids. Kids do not rule the world. They are directed and guided by sensible, trust-worthy adults. In this case, the adults in charge were the nanny/nurse and the priest. Both were supposed to be protectors, instilling moral strength in the young people. Instead, they were weak and gave in to the childish begging and cajoling of their charges. Neither nurse nor priest did what they were supposed to. They did not follow the directions and trust of their employers/parishioners. They caved to the spoiled and pampered teenagers. Death was the result.

         Children, even teen children, do not know what is best for them. Ultimately, it was not the animosity between the families that did in their loved ones. The adults who had been entrusted with the safety and well-being of these young people did not have the moral fortitude to uphold tradition or family loyalty. They caved to childish impulses and deception, and by doing so betrayed their employer and supporters. The parents in both families failed to have communications with their own children.

         Once I looked at it from this angle, I can no longer abide that "star-crossed" bologna. True love is developed with time. It doesn't grow up overnight like a mushroom. All teenagers have to learn this, not just these two. They are no more "star-crossed" than any other teenager whose hormones pushes them to challenge the rules. As for the families fighting, they were just Hatfields and McCoys with British accents.

© Copyright 2017 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/912282-Romeo-and-Juliet