*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
2
9
16
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/911568-Job-Burnout
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#911568 added May 22, 2017 at 12:51pm
Restrictions: None
Job Burnout
Prompt: “Burnout isn't being overworked or not getting enough rest. Burnout is job-induced depression.”
Eric Barker, Barking up the Wrong Tree
What does job-burnout mean to you? How can a person deal with it?


========

A study shows teachers and housewives with small children and no help are among the highest risk groups that suffer from a job burnout. I think, however, people of all vocations are subjected to this unsavory discomfort or disease.

When we are stuck in a tight space physically or mentally, it is normal to feel the effects of a burnout. Dissatisfaction in one’s job or the conditions of it, marriage, or life can make a person pull into his shell and avoid social contracts as much as possible. When time is constricted and the expectations from the outside or the inside of the person exceed the capability of that person, why wouldn’t he feel sick, depressed, or desperate?

Dealing with a burnout depends on the person and the situation. Some may benefit from taking a time off, but what happens when they return to the same situation? The same cycle begins all over again. Then, what if the job is so that one cannot take a time-off?

I think lowering one’s expectations of oneself is the first step in dealing with the job stress, even if lowering others’ expectations may not be possible. Then, if the job situation isn’t eased and extra help isn’t employed by the employer, it could be a good solution to change jobs, if at all possible.

None of us are free of the symptoms of a job-related burnout. It could help if we become savvy about how and what we feel and realize the dawning of a job-related depression. We need to recognize any negative feelings, cynicism, frustration, interpersonal problems, and emotional fatigue inside us for fighting or dealing with this malady. Then we should try not to expect too much from ourselves, first, and afterward, we should take small breaks during the working hours to cut ourselves some slack. Most importantly, we should face the situation and try to ask for help in handling a dreary and difficult job.

Even so, I believe the employers should be the ones to shoulder most of the burden of dealing with job burnout in their employees. Even the most boring jobs can be made meaningful and enthusiasm can replace meaningless or declining performance. Burnout drains employee motivation and efficiency. Too often, employers find out too late when the burnout hits a good employee. So, isn’t it a better idea to not expect too much from any one person and provide extra help such as part-time workers to ease the load on the overworked employees?



© Copyright 2017 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/911568-Job-Burnout