*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/910635-Marinade
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#910635 added May 7, 2017 at 4:29pm
Restrictions: None
Marinade
         I've encountered a number of people who are afraid to experiment with spices and herbs. They like to cook, but no creative spirit.

         I'll pass on what I know from a gourmet meat shop. My dad worked there until he was 88. He left with a lot of hints and secrets. He passed on a lot to his customers through the years, but some things are only told to family. One of the men in the organic shop made his own mixture, and people loved it. It was the same for fish, chicken, beef, or pork. People couldn't tell the difference; they just liked it. You can make it, too.

         They never measure anything, so it's never exactly the same two times in a row. Salt and pepper are starters. (I've tried some of their marinaded meat. Occasionally, it's too salty.) Oregano is generously added, and almost as much basil. They coat the meat liberally. By the time the customer gets home with it, it has marinated sufficiently for immediate cooking. Now when I say generous, I don't mean a shake or two of the can. I'm talking pinches by very big fingers. I've tried it at home, using open containers or bags. I've heaped it on successfully.

         For fish, I prefer parsley the red peppers, and paprika. Or I go the ginger route for a totally different taste. For chicken or lamb, I use rosemary. In fact, lamb needs to be rubbed down with a coarse salt and allowed to sit at room temperature for one hour before cooking. The rosemary and a little black pepper can be added for this one hour wait. MMM. Good.

         I'm usually pretty liberal with fresh garlic. Wine is a good tenderizer. I knew someone who hunted game, like bear, and he said Coke is a great meat marinade. Let a roast soak overnight in it. I don't cook game, so I've never tried. But I will add wine to some dishes like beef stew. The alcohol steams off, but the cooked meat gets more tender.

         I went through a turmeric and cumin phase last year. No one complained. It's supposed to be good for you.I guess it's possible to overdo some things, like cayenne or tarragon--which I love to use sparingly. But it's hard to use the wrong spice. It will be just different or unexpected, that's all.

© Copyright 2017 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/910635-Marinade