*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/910363-School-Safety
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#910363 added May 3, 2017 at 1:00am
Restrictions: None
School Safety
         The school system has gone to the dogs. Yes, I've joined the complainers. Officials are so concerned about being politically correct that they treat victims of assault the same as the perpetrators. Kids who have done no wrong who get punched in the face are treated the same as the little criminal. An eight year old member of my family, a very docile child who won't defend herself against her monster cousins, was standing in line with her hands to herself. She's very organized with good social skills, and makes excellent grades. Another girl punched her in the nose. Both sets of parents were called in and both girls got the same lecture.

         The other girl gets to walk away feeling no shame or remorse. My gentle little one is now afraid and doesn't know how to defend herself in future confrontations. Her mother pointed out that it isn't fair for the assaulting child not to receive extra punishment over the victim's punishment. No one punched her or even yelled at her, plus she's not suspended or doing extra homework. The school is unconcerned. It might make her parents mad. And it might offend some ethnic group since they are not of the same background. There is not equal justice for all.

         This alarms me because I had just read an article that claims assault by school age children on other children of the same or younger age is on the increase. The article further claims that policy changes from school district to district. Most tend to sweep it under the rug, and the offending child keeps on offending more children over the years at various schools within the district. Most of these assaults in that study were of a sexual nature. That makes me really sad because these children, as young as five, are learning these behaviors in other places, from adults or other children. Most offenses reported take place in the home. The second most likely place is at school or on a school bus.

         What is our nation coming to? You can't send your kid to school or preschool without being warned that no one should ever touch them "down there". You have to tell them that even if a child tells them he will kill them or beat them up, they have to tell Mom or Dad about it right away. And the parent may never receive any satisfaction from the school that other children will be spared, even if they sue, and the child will need counseling. Bullies have always been around, but never to this degree and so young.

         The second grade is not an age when when children should be so angry and ready to practice aggression. By the time kindergarten is complete, they should know how to properly interact with other children. A child who begins an aggressive action should be receiving remedial behavior counseling in the school. Maybe there is a problem at home of which the parents are not aware. At any rate, other children should not have to be afraid while they are at school.



© Copyright 2017 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/910363-School-Safety