*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/910270-It-Starts-With-An-Initial-Hello
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#910270 added May 1, 2017 at 9:23pm
Restrictions: None
"It" Starts With An Initial Hello...
PROMPT: Motivational Monday! "A lot of it starts with playing instruments, and working with other people... some of the new generation is doing it on computers and they don't have a clue as to how to play anything." Musician Ray Parker Jr., born on this day in 1954. How does "it" start for you, whatever "it" is?
My "it" is face-to-face interaction with another living, breathing person. I'm not particular, anyone will do. I like to partake of conversation; the verbalizing of experiences and stories, the shared observations, surprise 'witnessings', puns and jokes, musings on the mundane, reactions/commiserations re weather, political opinions, and commentary concerning the latest news headlines. Part of the allure is "it's" spontaneity. "It" may and does appear anywhere. "It" is often random, yet always appreciated/informative/illuminating/uplifting/entertaining.
          Many of my best talking encounters erupt and flourish while I, and other similarly inconvenienced souls are begrudgingly forced to wait in a line. There seems to be a camaraderie in the queue. For a time, not always brief, or fleeting, we are herded together in close proximity. Our common objective whether it be admittance to an establishment, or a rendezvous with a clerk and his/her cash register, or a desire to purchase tickets for entertainment purposes, or a coveted seat on a carnival ride, or an audience with the all-powerful maître d' for a restaurant repast, or baggage check-in at a noisy airport, or a need for a caffeine fix at a café, or an encounter with a trainee bank teller, unites us in a singular moment.
          We make eye contact. We smile. We nod. We shrug. We hold our hands up in the universal "what-can-we-do?" gesture. If a national holiday is imminent, we will acknowledge it, perhaps exchange appropriate greetings. Then the inimitable weather will be cursed/lamented as it relates to the celebration. It may be either too hot, too cold, too rainy, too snowy, but the weather will never be acceptable, or excusable, or expected. It is an enigma that frustrates us, maybe because it is beyond our control like the time spent idling in a line. We may, perchance, speak of our penchant to inhabit lines. We are well aware that we are within a line, and that we must follow an implied etiquette. Under no circumstances will line-short-changing, or butting in be permitted. If one chooses to leave, or drop their position in the said line, it becomes a permanent forfeiture.
         After establishing our commonalities, topics may be introduced. Sports and the highs/lows it causes devoted fans is a favourite. Everyone is an armchair expert. Sometimes, derision prevails. Bantering is perfectly acceptable if not a necessity. Not surprisingly, sports speak leads to political pessimism. Some seem to meld the two; exasperation expressed re inflated salaries, lack of accountability, ineptness, and painful progress.
          Sometimes, we give a nod to our surroundings. In an amusement park setting, 'liners/lingerers' notice tell-tale accents, and remark upon them. Perhaps, someone will ask if the obviously British family frequents waterparks at home, or if they exist there. One might offer to exchange places with the pouty English girl who declares she hates her boring home. A Canadian child might admit that the smiling strangers sound "just like Grandad". The British may confess that they never "see" enough sunshine. Kids work the chat around to the all-important subject of food, favourite candy is discussed.
          I agree with Mr. Parker. "Some of the new generation is doing it on computers." Yes, Twitter, Facebook, and their ilk have a place. People still need to communicate, and for a long distance relationship the computer is a godsend. Nothing, however, surpasses a face-to-face conversation. The written word lacks the subtleties of body language, facial expressions, and the nuances of voice inflection, pitch, tone, and volume.
          Random encounters with strangers are life-affirming. For a writer, conversing with others reveals a treasure trove of speech patterns, slang, interesting word usage, unexpected viewpoints, and tantalizing tidbits for stories. Mannerisms become fascinating. Dialogue becomes feasible. "It" starts with that initial hello...

© Copyright 2017 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/910270-It-Starts-With-An-Initial-Hello