*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/908360-Pat-Booths-Palm-Beach
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#908360 added April 4, 2017 at 3:26pm
Restrictions: None
Pat Booth's Palm Beach
         Okay, I read a 500+ page trashy novel. Very trashy. Palm Beach, copyright 1985, is a graphic book, that dishes up the dirt of its time, while dropping names (like the Kennedy's and Princess Margaret)and raising issues. On the one hand it's an intriguing story that I had trouble putting down. On the other hand, I had trouble with some parts of it.

         For one thing, all the women's breasts were described as either droopy, shapeless, or perfect and exquisite. Nothing in between. (Why it was necessary to see all women by that body part is a mystery.) The best breasts, at any age, were firm, full cones! Conical was a frequently used word. Women have enough problems already being told how they're supposed to be shaped by advertisers and foundation manufacturers. They don't need to be told constantly, there is only one desirable shape. And why were these women always thinking about how their breasts felt, particularly when thinking about a man. Really? Every sensation is keenly made known?

         All the desirable people, men and women had thin waists and "upturned" bottoms. What do upturned buttocks look like? Obviously, before the days of J-Lo and Nicky Minaj. Again, there was an obsession with the physical aspect of all the characters, not just the ones in the gym.

         It was supposed to be a story about revenge. But the leading lady never got hers. It was disappointing in that sense. And she didn't get revenge by overcoming the wrongs done to her. Instead, she was unhappy, driven, and estranged from her own child and best friend. The antagonist died a horrible death, but she never had a comeuppance that she would recognize. Her death was quick. No suffering was endured. Her whole life had been miserable, yes. That's what had made her the antagonist.

         Then there was the infidelity, incest (unknowing), and bisexuality and the fetishes. No one ever paid for their sins, except the innocent and good daughter of the antagonist. At the end of the book, you don't know if everything turned out okay, or if the revenge is going into the third generation. So I was not happy with the sudden ending.

         The issues worthy of note include money doesn't buy social position in some places, social position doesn't guarantee happiness, old money versus new money, sacrificing things like love for ambition, The story is ripe with haves and have-nots and have even more. The old issues of who has the power, how do you get it, and how do you keep it are all there. In our classless society, there are multiple classes; and they change by locale.

         Despite being unhappy with parts of it, the story itself kept me reading into the wee hours. Ultimately, I was disappointed with the ending, but I felt like it was a good reading experience. I didn't know much about Palm Beach or its surroundings, and I don't know clothing designers or labels. But you learn as you read along. I would have been happier seeing justice done, having the ones dishing out all the heartlessness do some anguishing of their own when they realized their wrong-doing.

© Copyright 2017 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/908360-Pat-Booths-Palm-Beach