*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/908316-Marketing-To-Older-Folks
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#908316 added April 4, 2017 at 12:41am
Restrictions: None
Marketing To Older Folks
         I just leafed through magazine from Costco. The older market is certainly targeted for sales. Yes, I know TV and many magazines target children, babies and expectant parents, but this one really zoomed in on the older market. I really didn't notice any diaper ads or toys or teen things.

         Life insurance was featured. Many brands of vitamins for over 50, or heart health, or arthritis were featured. It gave me an idea for a business venture. "Seniors R Us" would be a retail operation like no other. One section would feature vitamin gummies and other vitamins for the over 50 crowd, including ones that specialize in vision and hearing. Then there's the nutritional supplements for the ones who can't eat and are losing weight.Digestive health would take up a section.A discreet section for male enhancement over the counter drugs, bladder control products, adult diapers, and things to address menopause.

         Then there's the beauty section: wrinkle creams, moisturizers, neck creams, under eye shadow creams, crepe paper skin fixers, special hand creams, sensitive skin and dry skin products. Make-up would be limited to that suited for older women, not so much eye shadow, not so many wild colors, but definitely lipsticks, lip balms, eyeliner, mascara, blusher, bronzers, and "youthful" foundations, not to mention masks and cleansers. All the tools, too, brushes, magnifying mirrors, lash curlers, manicure tools, foot soaks.

         In a safety section, you'd display shower chairs, handicap bars to install in the shower, toilet lifts, Sitz baths, rails for the sides of the bed. Night lights that don't feature Disney or cartoon characters. Non-slip rugs, bath mats, door mats. Walkers, seat cushions for cars, canes.

         Reading glasses, a large variety of magnifying glasses, both lighted and unlighted would be needed. Several kinds of natural light lamps and aids for crafts and hobbies to keep the elderly working in their hobbies would be needed. We'd need a rack of large print books and dictionaries, and sell Jitterbug phones.

         I almost left out foot products. Support socks and hosiery are getting harder to find. Dr. Scholl's products and competitors would be featured. Foot tubs and massagers would be needed. In fact hand held massagers and heating pads are needed by the elderly.

         I know a lot of these products are used by under 50 people, but the senior crowd use more of them. Having them all in one place would be a convenience. The store would have to have wide aisles to accommodate walkers and wheelchairs. The shelves couldn't be too tall, since we tend to shrink in height as we get older. The store would need to have its own wheelchairs with baskets. The staff would have to be patient and knowledgeable. If advertised the right way, it could be cool to shop there, instead of an embarrassment. It could meet a need in the community and the shoppers would all have something of a common interest.










































© Copyright 2017 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/908316-Marketing-To-Older-Folks