*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/907686-How-Does-an-Actor-Learn-Lines
Rated: E · Book · Personal · #2101955
We live much of life amid unique choices. Joy is anchored in The One beyond our life.
#907686 added March 27, 2017 at 1:49am
Restrictions: None
How Does an Actor Learn Lines?
Learning every aspect of a performance that is repeatable every time is the challenge for every actor.

An actor's performance is multifaceted.
1. The lines (or words) of an actor's part tells the story verbally.
2. The facial expressions and the positions of the body express the story in nonverbal ways.
3. The marks (or exact spots props are located) help the actor to find his or her mark (or spot, position) for delivering the lines.

On top of all that the actor needs to act in such a way that looks natural to the character being portrayed, while not telegraphing the fact that the actor is acting.

For example the young lady, who portrayed Helen Keller in our local performance of The Miracle Worker last June of 2016, was so flawless in her acting that some the audience was stunned, when she took her bows because it was obvious at that point that she really could see and hear.

Some actors are very verbal. They write their lines on 3 X 5 cards and repeat the words over and over and over. Another group of these just repeat the words from the script multiple times after highlighting them with a yellow marker.

Some actors are kinesthetic and/or visual (as I am on both counts.) Finding my mark, (as I am to begin doing tomorrow,) and learning the sentences and paragraphs as they go in each place, helps me to repeat nearly the same performance every time.

Some actors are truly amazing with a photographic memory. They literally "read" their lines from the screen in their minds with such an actor's flair that they don't appear to need the "invisible teleprompter."

The Bottom Line is that learning lines is a matter of repetition, which requires great patience and persistence.

Often as we approach "Opening Night," (which will happen for us the Thursday after next,) we are tempted to wonder, "Do I know my lines?" Invariably the directors of my personal experience encourage the cast with the words, "You know your lines better than you think you do!"


Without exception the directors are right.
We perform in a masterful way and the audience consistently loves us.
I don't think it's possible to present a "perfect" play.

The truth is that I have heard
nearly flawless performances of piano concertos
and have left the concert hall, unmoved.
But little nuances,
exceptions,
transpositions
and omissions
have often moved me to tears
because I could sense
that the pianist "felt" the piece
and made me feel it, too.

I am looking forward to a masterful performance as Our Town opens in our town.
Excellent delivery and emotional connection with the audience
is at least as important as the words themselves.
But I am still drilling my lines every day to be the best possible actor I can be.


I wish you all could be here.


by Jay O'Toole
on March 27th, 2017


Here is yet another signature, that has been provided for me by my good friends, WS & GG.

© Copyright 2017 Jay O'Toole (UN: 777stan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jay O'Toole has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/907686-How-Does-an-Actor-Learn-Lines