*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/907242-Family-First
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#907242 added March 20, 2017 at 4:04pm
Restrictions: None
Family First
         I'm pretty much a loner, sometimes by choice. I like my routine and am not usually spontaneous.

         Yesterday, I did not have to work on Sunday. I was at home after church and could cook dinner for my dad and my brother and his children and grandchildren, who usually come while I'm at work. I usually try to cook on Saturday night and let Dad finish or warm it up on Sunday. Being at home to serve and clean up is preferable. I can also reduce the damage to my home and things by the children.

         In the afternoon, before the guests arrived, I had planned to type and to nap. But while I was in the kitchen cooking, my brother came to the back door, about 3 hours or more earlier than usual. He had taken off from work due to a cold. He had intended to go to a walk-in clinic to get a note to return to work, but it was so busy, he decided to wait until Monday morning and go in late or take another day. He has cancer, so colds are always a concern. He sat at the kitchen table with me, and we spent the rest of the afternoon talking about everything. My dad was snoring in the other room. He's doing more of that these days.

         Finally, his daughter and her two kids showed up. Her husband was off getting free horse manure for fertilizer ( he got several loads) and just ran out of time to make the ride into town. The others had other things to do and weren't coming. So we had a nice meal, and the two children who were there got more attention than when all the kids are there. The three year old didn't want to go home. She's a holy terror around other kids and her parents. Fortunately, they did bring their pajamas with the hopes that they would go to sleep on the ride home.

         As I was off today, I told her she could stay. I had already made the threat that if she didn't put all the toys away that she couldn't go home. Who knew that it would backfire? So without a change of clothes or toothbrush or comb, she spent the night. She was well-behaved. We watched a Disney move, then she went to bed. I had to lie down with her until she went to sleep. Then I got ready for bed. At least she slept a long time. This morning, I had to cook breakfast, something I hardly ever do. We did some clean-up together and went outside to pick up pine cones and sticks and rake. I have child size tools for the kids. Her dad came and got her, with clean clothes, to go out of town on errands. Now I can catch up.

         My point is that my own plans had to be changed. I couldn't do my usual things, check my e-mail, or write. I couldn't watch my kind of TV. I couldn't take the time for my morning rituals. But these people are important to me. When my brother dies from cancer, if I'm still around, I won't be regretting that I didn't spend more time just talking with him. This little great niece may possibly have some faint memory of me when I'm gone. As much as I value my privacy and my routine, I value my family and my relationships. Some relationships don't pay off or have no lasting value. Family is another matter. Time with people you love is worth every minute.

© Copyright 2017 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/907242-Family-First