*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/907188-Chucks-Ding-a-Ling
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#907188 added March 19, 2017 at 9:31pm
Restrictions: None
Chuck's Ding a Ling
PROMPT: The Sunday News! It was announced on Saturday that the world lost music legend Chuck Berry at age 90. Ponder for a second this line in the article I linked-- a quote attributed to author Chuck Klosterman: "Which rock star will historians of the future remember?"... Now, substitute "rock star" with any given position or occupation of prominence (or, if it suits you, don't) and answer the question. Which will historians of the future remember most easily?
          This is a purely subjective topic. Many rock 'n' rollers are memory worthy even if we base our fandom on only one hit song from each of them. Music is such an integral part of our lives. We hear it by choice n the comfort of our homes. We hear it blaring from passing radios. It is broadcast in public venues such as malls, stores, elevators, travel stations, and wherever. Music is woven into movies, and television programs. We celebrate with it at life-affirming events such as weddings, funerals, and graduations. We all have memories associated with music.
         Wow, Chuck Berry lived to a good ol' age, 90. Too many performers seem to flare and fade much too quickly. Think of the many who have died at, or nearing the 50-year old mark; Michael Jackson, Prince, and George Michaels. They all contributed to the music industry, and made their indelible marks/notes.
         I believe historians of the future will definitely remember Chuck Berry. The man was a whirlwind. How can one forget a man who wrote and performed a song titled "My Ding A Ling"? It hinted at something slightly naughty, yet common place. One of his classics, "Johnny B. Goode" was further immortalized in a popular movie, 'Back to the Future.' Generations of music lovers have heard that tune.
         Chuck penned songs for the everyday people and their business of trying to survive. He wrote of heart break, and love with "I Will Not Let You Go", "Maybellene", and "Nadine". He could craft a song around cruisin' mindlessly in a car, "No Particular Place to Go". He knew about financial hardship, and working for a living which he bemoaned in "Too Much Monkey Business". He could entice many to let loose and dance with "Shake, Rattle and Roll", plus "Roll Over Beethoven".
          Many musical icons recognize Chuck Berry as the epitome, the father, the man of rock 'n' and roll. His contemporaries laud him as a legend. They sing his praises, and for this he must be considered worthy of future historical remembrance. Stevie Wonder says, "There's only one true king of rock 'n' roll. His name is Chuck Berry." According to Bob Dylan, "Chuck Berry is the Shakespeare of rock 'n' roll." John Lennon said, "If you tried to give rock 'n' roll another name, you might call it Chuck Berry."
          RIP Chuck Berry. The Ding-a-Lingers salute you.

© Copyright 2017 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/907188-Chucks-Ding-a-Ling