*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/906771-Preparing-for-St-Patricks-Day
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#906771 added March 13, 2017 at 10:56pm
Restrictions: None
Preparing for St. Patrick's Day
St. Paddy's Day is near. No green beer, please. It's a vulgar American custom that just makes your urine green. They would not dream of it in Ireland. I don't want to clean any green toilets: I'm sure no one else does either.

         So, what to eat? Irish stew or corned beef and cabbage, giant shrimp called prawn, or other North Atlantic fish. They really don't do much for dessert other than flan, a simple egg custard, except in the fancy hotels and tourist attractions. Eggs and chicken are always acceptable. Americans have green cookies or cupcakes. Irish soda bread is sort of dry and not to American tastes. However, you can find some in selected bakeries that are sweetened a bit or have raisins added. They are still crumbly, but tasty with butter. Irish butters and cheeses are sold in all the better chain grocers.

         For drinking, there is the tan and the dark: two different beers poured carefully into the same glass. They only mix, since one is heavier than the other, as the mug is tilted up and down in drinking. In the market, Guinness has one that is labeled American blond, made in America, not Ireland. Of course, there is Irish whiskey and moonshine. Most any spirits will do to fill Irish drinking legends. Not all Irish have been drunks, but the reputation is there.

         Vast populations of Irish live in New York, Boston, Philadelphia, and Chicago. Most have married into other ethnic groups by now, but they cling to their heritage. By the time of the American Civil War, the potato famine had struck, and masses had fled to America to avoid starvation. Some intended to stay, while some planned to return after things were better back home and they had made their fortunes in America. At this point, there may be as many Irish Americans as there are Irish in Ireland.

         They faced a lot of prejudice and racism on landing in America and moving to new communities. Today they fit in with the "natives" and oppose other immigrating groups. They looked like the people who hated them and tormented them. It was only the accent that gave them away, or maybe Catholic rituals. They brought many skills with them, hard work and determination. They did not come to terrorize or destroy or take advantage. However, once here, with no jobs or prospects, many did turn to crime or gangs. Some sought control of fire fighting clubs or houses, before community supported fire houses were formed. Eventually some filtered into the police departments. Definitely, we see the struggle for power and control while the country was still young and forming.

         Irish history is rich. So is Irish American history. They also have literary giants and wonderful folk lore.

© Copyright 2017 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/906771-Preparing-for-St-Patricks-Day