*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/906409-March-10-2017
Rated: 13+ · Book · Activity · #2056808
This contains entries to Take up Your Cross, Space Blog, Blog City PF and BC of Friends
#906409 added March 10, 2017 at 5:21am
Restrictions: None
March 10, 2017
"March 10, 2017

Group signature. Just what it says My Blog signature ** Image ID #2113629 Unavailable ** Just what it says

T

he 30 Day Blogging Challenge prompt for Friday March 10 is "On this day in 1876, Alexander Graham Bell made the first successful call with the telephone. How much of a factor has the telephone (in all its forms) had in the difference between society now and 140 years ago?"

I

believe the telephone has been one of the most important advances in the history of mankind. It has led the way to rapid dissemination of information and brought the world closer together. I am put to mind of the old AT&T commercial that said "Reach out and touch someone'.

With the telephone that is exactly what we do. We can make a major impact on the lives of others by simply picking up the telephone. Then the telephone has also saved countless lives. Each year America's population grows older. This means an increased risk in falls and so forth. The telephone has made a tremendous impact in this area. When one has an emergency seconds can make the difference between life and death. At one time when a person became sick or hurt they had to send for the local doctor. They could well be dead by the time the doctor arrived. Now help is available within minutes because people who are sick or injured can call their local emergency number and receive help from the fire department, the emergency squad, or the police department. Alexander Graham Bell's invention made all if this possible. Even the Internet on which I am typing this stems from Bell's idea. So his invention has made a huge impact on society.

Blog City image small

R

ock Legend~ "Write a brief list of things that a stone might be upset about. Now craft us a story late at night about your stone confiding to the moon all the troubles it's having. Have fun."

I'm mad," said Rock to the moon.

"What do you have to be mad about Rock? All you do is lay around all day gathering moss."

"That's exactly why I am angry. You're up there in the sky where no moss can reach you to grow on you but here I am covered in the stuff."

"Why do I have a feeling there is more to it than that?"

"Maybe because there is! I don't want to be such a hard head. Do you realize that I have a heart of stone?"

"Of course you have a heart of stone silly. You're a rock. You're made of nothing but stone."

"Yes I know that. My parents were a couple of hard cases themselves."

"You''re slaying me with all your puns. How would you like it if I started "mooning" you?"

"Please don't. I have no legs so I can't run away."

"But your eyes are covered with moss."

Yes, I know. That's why I'm going to start playing guitar and join a "rock" band."

"Let me guess. The "Rolling Stones" right?

"Well at least I'll gather no moss."

Oh come on. This is getting pathetic. What's with all this lunacy?"

"What else do I have to do all day? I lay here baking in the sun. The ants crawl all over me using me as a foot path. The worms hide underneath me tickling me. So I try to distract myself with these stone cold jokes."

"That one really rocked me! I'll tell you what, how about I come down and the two of us will get stoned together?"

O{/drpcap}n the house- The Blogging Circle of Friends prompt for "March 10, 2017 is "The Subtle Temple-- write us a poem or story about discovering a long lost building. Describe the place with humanistic qualities (i.e) smiling gates, toothy windows. What was the building intended for and what is it used for now? Let's see some creativity ..."

I remember when I was a child we lived way out in the country. The place we lived was a valley with high hills on both sides. On top of one of the hills sat a row of abandoned houses. Some of the houses were caving in and nobody dared go near them. A few however were still in decent shape and invited strangers with open arms. During the summer nobody would enter any of the houses or even go near them for that matter. There was a serious danger of poisonous snakes because the place was polluted with copperheads. During the winter however when there was little danger of snakes the houses were often a respite. I remember hunting in that location many times. There were two approaches to the community. One was the direct approach, which meant climbing an almost vertical hill. The other was the indirect approach which meant walking nearly a mile. I often chose the indirect approach, especially when hunting because it gave me a better chance of finding game. It was also a much easier way to get there since there was an old road that led directly to the houses. The road snaked it's way up a gradual incline until it nearly reached the peak of the hill. The ridge was still about a quarter of a mile beyond the houses and the last quarter of a mile was up a steep 10 percent incline that often found you practically crawling as you grabbed for anything to help you climb. So anybody who had been up the hill before knew to rest in the small community of buildings before going on. Even in the summer it was safe to stop at the outskirts and rest as long as one watched for snakes.

I remember those old houses clearly. They always looked lonely and forlorn with their downcast roofs and their sad looking windows. In the late fall my siblings and I would sneak off to the settlement and play. Usually we would sit around and tell ghost stories. What is the purpose of going into an old abandoned house if not to scare oneself witless with ghost stories? I remember that every time it was my turn to tell a story, which it was usually always my turn, even the house seemed to take part. Often when i'd reach the climax of the story an animal would move or the wind would howl and everybody, myself included, would bolt from the house in a panic. I remember looking back many times and getting the most eerie feeling from the house. Today if I get that feeling from a house I avoid it. After having my skull fractured in a childhood accident, I have become acutely aware of nuances about houses that others are never aware of. I have actually helped the police solve crimes as a result. So looking back perhaps there was more to those old houses than met the eye. At the time I was simply to young to know.

Signature for nominees of the 10th annual Quill Awards



© Copyright 2017 Chris Breva (UN: marvinschrebe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chris Breva has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/906409-March-10-2017